Crysis running terrible on capable PC

MikeyJ

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I recently purchased the first Crysis on Steam (from the EA sale) but ever since jumping into game I've been getting terrible FPS rates. I usually stay on 30fps or below on medium settings with forced DX9 (AA completely disabled), I find this relatively strange, as I've heard of less powerful machines run the game far smoother than I do.

My specifications:
4GB Kingston DDR3
CPU – AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
GPU – Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870
OS – Windows 7 Professional 32Bit

I've tried several fixes/played around with the config files nothing seems to help. Please don't say 'just set it to low' as that doesn't help.

MikeyJ

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

How would I turn FSAA off? AA is already completely disabled.

Overclocked Toaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
your processor is fine for crysis. i used to have problems with the steam version of crysis. I solved them by using ``verify integrity of game cache`` which checks for errors in the download and installation process. Right click on crysis in your games library, go to ``properties``, then ``local game files``.

also make sure your drivers are up to date and thatyour memory is not all being used up by background processes. also as hexit says just stick with dx10.

MikeyJ

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

I checked the integrity of game files yesterday, everything was fine - no improvement.

open your ccc panel select gaming/3d application settings.
just click the default button and click ok...
what ever you did to enable the forced dx9 mode. undo that.

Doesn't make a difference. Perhaps my problem is that I'm on 32 bit system?

i dont like to disagree with veterans, but this is complete BS. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-890fx,2613-9.html <- at 1080p most cpu's perform similarly. i do agree 6 cores do not get used, but it is still fine for crysis. its more demanding on gpu than cpu. you have some other problem. enable tripple buffering and vsync and see what happens. I actually have this problem with crysis since switching from xp to win 7. I believe the cure may be in more ram and dx9 mode really helped me a lot. Upgrade to 8gb ram.

castle songbird

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
ummm...shot in the dark, do you have any taxing programs running in the background?

To check open system configuration and check under the "services" and "startup" tabs

Those listed under services are background operations currently active or stopped

Those under startup are the ones set to automatically start when booting windows

if you look at thoughs benches you will see although there is a marked difference in cpu clocks the results are very similar the reason being the game doesnt use the more cores efficently and that is my point. crysis preferes faster cpu's over cores. the reason i come to this conclusion is that i have played it myself on 3 differenc pc's an amd 4600x2 and amd6000 x2 and an i7 920
the 4600x2 complained a lot when run on an 88gt medium settings were to much.
the 6000x2 in the same basic pc ran the game much much better yet there was only 600 mhz in it.
i then ran it on the i7 920 and although it has 2 much more efficent cores it didnt really improve on the 6000x2 you would think that having 2 extra and much better cores wold increase performance noticably but on crysis it didnt i got an extra 3 fps.. yes the game is very gpu bound but even dropping the settings didnt really offload that much on to the cpu. so i came to the conclusion the game is as much cpu bound as it is gpu bound.
in the end im only going off my own experience yours may be different, and thats the beauty of toms. the wide ark of experiance, it may not always concur but its all usefull.