56k modem connected at 115k

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Im sorry but once again I find myself coming to this forum to ask a modem question because none of the other sections are popular enough to get me an answer. ok...

Ive just built my new comp and also installed a new external 56k modem to replace my winmodem that lagged my online games. so i got home connected it up, dialled up for the first time and it connected at 115k. it has done this ever since but doesnt seem to really improve in download/upload speeds over my old modem. The only problem is that whilst my old modem would instantly connect after dialling, this one waits almost a minute at the 'logging onto network' stage before finally connecting. i would be very thankful if someone could tell me what is wrong. at first i thought it was the serial connection between the modem and the computer but then a friend told me that his old 28k did this aswell. Im mystified. Any Ideas???

If all else fails, Go further :)

Rig

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
It isn't connecting at 115k. It is impossible for a dial-up modem to get more than 52 Kbps. What you are seeing is some kind of Windows error thing. When you set up your modem, you can set the maximum speed. Yours is probably set at 115k, and when Windows connects you, it displays your max setting rather than actual throughput. You're probably getting between 33.6 - 52Kbps, something like that. If you're not getting any better performance, which it seems you should be since you have a better modem, you should try switching to a new ISP. Some ISPs haven't upgraded to the new v.92 standard, which gives dial-up people better internet performance, and allows you to get 52Kbps. I'd suggest <A HREF="http://aplus.net" target="_new">http://aplus.net</A>. They are a great ISP for dial-up people, plus they will let you do a dual-modem setup.(29.95/mo. unlimited access) If you install two modems (will require 2 phone lines) you can link them into one data stream with PPP Multilink dialing. I know you can do this in Windows XP, and I'm pretty sure about Win2k, but I don't know about support for Multilink in any previous versions. Anyway, the only reason I know anything about this is because I'm gonna have to set up a dual-modem connection in my PC for a while. I can't get DSL or Cable, and full-duplex satellite service is too expensive, so dual-modem is the only way to get a decent connection. Best of luck. Do some research. Use Google, they are the best. Email me if you need any more information.

PS Your best bet is to do online research, that's how I learned everything I know about dial up connections.

My Rig is bigger than yours.

Huzzah for Antec, AMD, and ASUS!!!

adamnalina

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
My 2 cents:

I used to work for AOL, and certain versions of their software would report "port" speed, rather than actual speed, confusing alot of people. I was told that this speed was a measure of the connection between the modem and the PC, not the modem and whatever you're connecting to. They did give me alot of bad information, so I can't vouch for the above. However, as other people have already stated, a single phone modem will never hit above 52k.

motofan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
Check if there is any unnecessary protocols attached to the dial-up connection you created. Just leave TCP/IP. That will make the process much faster.

I'm not sure if your promlem is cause by that.

-----
<font color=green>plus:
Can your system remember the connection password in windows XP. Why cannot I? (see the post "Cannot remember password in winXP?" for detail)
thank you.</font color=green>

:cool: :smile:
<font color=blue><b>God's in His Heaven
All's Right with The World!</b></font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
there is no problem, its just a number, it doesnt even reflect the max speed you can expect.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

This 115200 connection can be forced on most modems. Although you will only be able to download at whatever speed your phone lines will support. I've used this for several years now. Until I finally got DSL.

On the Connection tab of the modem properties window click on the Advanced button. In the Extra settings window type "AT&F&C1&D2" .Without the qoutation marks. This will force the modem to connect at 115200. Although your connection will be limited to what your phone lines can carry.

I aint signing nothing!!!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
also in the network setup for your dialup connection you might be able to uncheck the "connect to network" option to speed up the connection worked for me with a few isp's before I got cable and stopped using dialup (heres why <A HREF="http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/2020543;345423;08676bdc1412eb5e2d5b4fb534f3fd0d;2.0;nyc.speakeasy.net/1030976000" target="_new"> I switched </A> :smile:

<font color=red><b> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fuddef.html" target="_new">FUD</A></font color=red></b>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
saw the same thing B4 at home & at work, your modem driver is incorrect, if it is a incorrect/generic driver it will only show the max speed for the port U are connecting thru...

but it would B cool if U could connect at that speed, well until U get DSL/cable...

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.