Windows8 Pro Activation Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Alright, so I installed windows 8 pro (The boxed version) onto my HTPC (I previously had XBUNTU on). I used the product key given in the box during installation and everything worked smoothly. However, after the installation when i go into system info the key is not there and when i enter it, it tells me the key is invalid. Is there somthing I'm missing here? any help would be much appreciated thanks!

I should also mention that i turned the disk into an iso image, and then set up my usb drive to install it off of (I have no cd drive in my htpc)

Double check first that you aren't mixing up number and letters (for example, B and the number eight). If you are absolutely sure you are entering the key exactly as shown on the box, the system should give you the option to call Microsoft's activation line. I've done it before for Windows 7 and it was very easy. Took no more than about 5 minutes and I was up and running.

onlytaurus

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I'm in this same situation.

When I try to activate Windows 8 AFTER installing it.. I'm told the product key is invalid because it is an upgrade version. However, BestBuy promised me I have the full version when I notified them of this. I don't know what's going on.

I called Microsoft and the lady I talked to informed me that I in fact do only have the upgrade version...? Doesn't say anything other than 'Windows 8 Pro" on the box. Bad marketing if it really isn't a full version.

Daedalus2002

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
the boxed version selling in ALL stores is the upgrade version. You CANNOT buy the full version in a store.

You need to buy the full version if you had Linux running before. So either an OEM copy or full retail online.

Hi :)

What COLOUR is the box ?

Black is upgrade....

All the best Brett :)

onlytaurus

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Great.. Best Buy is informing hundreds of people wrong information.. It's black.

I thought the 'Geek Squad' was supposed to be the best of the best. :p

Well.. I'm demanding $75 dollors(what I paid for 8) off Windows 7 then..

Full version @ NCIX: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77185&vpn=FQC-05956&manufacture=Microsoft

Full version @ Newegg.ca (also available at their .com site for US customers): http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416552

Stores are selling the full version.

Here is the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade item at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416562

Note how it's half the price of the full version above?

Edit: Best Buy in the States is really f***ing this up. Their webpage with Windows 8 Pro gives absolutely no indication that the customer is getting the upgrade version: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows+8+Professional+-+Windows/6559083.p?id=1218752793305&skuId=6559083&st=Windows_8_Software_68468&lp=1&cp=1

Be sure to blame Best Buy though not Microsoft. Not Microsoft's fault that BB can't tell their customers what they are selling. Will take another look but I did not see a full version available via Best Buy's US site.

deejaybos

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I think MS' sale plan for this version of Windows is absolutely ass backwards. They're shoving Upgrade versions down everyone's throats and it's very confusing about what you can really do with it. You can clean install (format) on a drive, but only if it recognizes an existing version, yet I can't clean install on a blank drive.... WHAT?!?! Plus, there is NO full version RETAIL, only full version OEM, which the licensing works different.

Also, yes, Best Buy is really confusing people with what they're selling... not to mention the ignorant reviewers that are buying from Best Buy and misinforming people of what they're buying. Telling people you can do a clean install with this version is misleading, because, you really can't.

If you install a brand new hard drive, from what I understand, you cannot install windows 8 onto it, which is what I consider a clean install to be. You have to first install windows 7 or some other OS, just to then re-format (clean install) windows 8 onto it. Stupidest thing I've ever heard and I'm pissed that I spent $40 on this!

Daedalus2002

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

NCIX (and other stores) is selling the full OEM version. I should have said you cannot buy the full RETAIL version instore.

BrianGraham91

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Right. You cannot purchase the retail version outright from stores, unless it's from Microsoft online or Amazon, etc.

ram1009

Distinguished
This same scenario occurs every time Microsoft issues a new OS. You're naive if you think it isn't part of their marketing plan. Confusion about version type can only lead to over spending on multiple copies. How hard is it to print the words "upgrade version" clearly on the box an in the ads and how smart do you need to be to be aware of the necessity to do so. Think about it folks.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Consider that 89% of all desktop and laptop computers are already running Windows. The overwhelming majority of users will have no issue using the upgrade version at all.

Is it inconvenient to some people, sure. But it's more than a little stretch to claim it's a scam to trick people into buying additional copies.

Since they are not currently allowing for a "clean" install for a Qualifing system, there biggest problem is likely to be a year down stream when you no longer have the "orginal" disk to Re-install the OS just so you can re-install win 8 - OUCH
Could be reason to NOT go with Win8

The vendors selling Window 8 upgrade and NOT saying that it is an upgrade version (picture does not show) are leaving themselfs open - as this is a clear case of Buy Beware - OK for Used, but not for new.

PS has anybody tried the Double install method??
NOTE: asking for Legit owners of qualifing OS and NOT tring to circumvent legal requirement of owning qualifing OS for The specific machine being upgraded.

majestic1805

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

You don't even need an A+ cert to be geek squad. Largely, they're idiots paid to push buttons.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

lol the geek squad is not the best of the best.. lol trust me on that note .. not to mention they tend to make things worse or try and upsell solutions that are not really needed .. in the end your looking at a more exspensive fix then whats really required..

I can back up the claims here about Geek Squad. I've dealt with them a couple of times (mostly to talk circles around them for simple amusement), but I also had a former co-worker who worked for them before joining my team. This former co-worker actually knew what he was doing, but he was constantly amazed at how bad many GS employee's were at their jobs. "Idiots paid to push buttons" sums it up pretty well IMO.

That would be right. There is no *Retail* version anymore. It's Upgrade or OEM only. The one knock against Microsoft here is the fact that they didn't print more clearly on the box exactly what the end user is buying. In addition to being common sense, there would be no way for places like Best Buy to screw this up further.

Excusing the crude analogy... I wouldn't say quite yet that Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot here, but they loaded the gun by not printing UPGRADE clearly on the box, and have now pointed it at their foot when they seemingly left it up to retailers to tell customers what they are buying.

Seems like a very strange way of doing things.

randomizer

Champion

I'm not sure about this method, but the registry hack (that I am obviously not going to provide any links to) worked for me. I had a brain fart and erased my SSD before running the installation, so it obviously didn't pick up any previous installs. Then again, my Win 7 installation was so botched it probably wouldn't have picked it up anyway :lol:

Everything worked fine, except my wireless. For some reason Windows has never had drivers for my RTL8187B NIC included OOTB, and yet they've been in the mainline Linux kernel for a long time. Luckily the Windows 7 ones work fine, because Realtek hasn't made any for Windows 8.

^ That sounds reassuring.
The registry hack, normal posted links were to 3rd party instruction: However; my understanding that that is what microsoft also puts out. It is needed to cover "HONEST" problems were the Required previous version has been lost. IE in Like in your case you had already wiped it, In other cases, primarily OEM store bought systems where the OEM HDD has been damaged and a New HDD purchased, or OS corrupted to point of Not booting an alternate methode should be provided for by MS.

2nd question concerns dual booting the previous version and New Win 8 at least upto the point of Verifing that Windows 8 is working fully the way you expect/desire. I had a problem with the Dual boot using the beta version. Occomplished with Win 7 SSD disconnected for win 8 install to 2nd SSD. When booting to win 8 looked fine - EXCEPT looked like win 8 modified win7 SSD, but reboot back to win 7 I would get a error message (Forget) and had to do a "fix" to boot back to win 7.

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
ha so yea Future Shop (pretty much the same as Best Buy) gave me the upgrade version, when i asked for the full version. The worst part is it doesnt even say upgrade on the stuped box. Now as i was running XBUNTU before this is rather annoying, but I got it working by installing windows 7, then installing windows 8, then doing a clean install of windows 8 all over again so that i could fit it on my 32gig ssd (upgrade required at least 20 gigs of free space).

works great, but in all i really need to stop shopping at stuped best buy, and Future shop
Thanks for the comments aswell !

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

They actually don't want qualified employees, because they have to pay them more. I applied straight out of college (economy was in the shitter, took six months to find work). Probably had more experience with computer hardware than their entire Geek Squad put together, plus a degree in Software Engineering to prove I know the software side.

They never called back.

Status
Not open for further replies.