Strange!!!!

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Have a computer that belongs to a friend. The DVDrom is found in explore or my computer but can't find any reference to it in device manager. Cd's that I put in won't auto play. I go to run and browse and click on setup.exe and it can't be found. I can see them but the pC can't find it to start. I have tried several cd's and the only one that it will execute is a win xp setup.exe. I tried another cdrom and the pc won't load it no matter if I set it to master or CS."It is connected to the sec.master on the Mobo".I believe it is in the way it was setup. I can't find a reference to the DVDrom in the device manager. I don't se no primary or secondary fifo in device manager.Not sure what the mobo is can't find any markings. Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Adding to that post. When you ececute the Setup.exe it says D:\setup.exe cannot be found please verify the correct file name was givin. Thanks

It sounds like for some reason your DOS drivers are MIA.

Try This, make sure your CMOS setup is set to boot in sequence beginning with the A drive, [Typically older computers you would see= A,CDROM,C But don't set it to boot from the A, drive only], insert a Win whatever OP/SYS Floppy start up disk, boot just like you were going to reload the OP/SYS, let it load every thing normally don't instruct it just wait until it gets to the flashing A:\> prompt, take the Floppy disk out, then type EXIT and press Enter, the machine should restart normally, with your drives recognized.

If you don't have the Floppy Start Up disk, get it here <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com" target="_new">Bootdisk.com </A>

Note: Its important that you EXIT, not punch the power button to restart the computer, the CDROM drivers are stored in the RAM, for the initial boot sequence, if you kill the power you loose the drivers stored in the RAM.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 03/20/05 10:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks I have it figured out. The chip set drivers for the MObo were not installed. This happened at a shop that installed the drive for him. Every thing good now. Thanks Bruce