Grounded power outlet for PC's important ??

dbota

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
I recently moved into a second floor new apartment built in the 50's with early two wire electrical Romex wiring. The outlets have no ground and the outlet boxes are not grounded either so it does no good to attach a ground wire to the outlet cover screw. (The bathroom is not nearby either for purposes of running a wire to a plumbing fixture and there is an apt. below me and brick walls around me)

My ASUS A7V PC system and peripherals are doing OK so far these last 2 weeks but I was wondering about the downside... can anyone tell me how necessary it is to have your system grounded?? (I run my monitor and CPU off of a voltage regulating type of UPS if that makes any difference)

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Your best bet is to run a dedicated ground to the UPS.

Actually, any good UPS should be reporting a "ground fault" now. To answer your question, YES... Having a good ground is very important. A while back IBM reported that 90% of all computer hardware damage is directly attibutable to bad power (either AC input or DC output). Having a good power supply and a stable UPS goes a very long way toward addressing these issues. Fixing the ground will put you in a much better situation.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At my work, we have alot of Compuke pc's, that have strange power cable without a 3rd wire. It worked, but we got electricuted every time we touch the computers, so we change all cables to normal.

Beer! Good!
-James Hatefild