I want a new mobo, but I can't find what I'm after.
I was going to go with an ASUS Cubx-e (BX, UDMA100, AGP 2x etc), but my budget has increased, so I want to look at what else I can get.
I fancy a Radeon 64Mb DDR, but I think it might be wasted on a BX board. Any comments welcome.

The system I want would be:

850MHz CPU minimum.
64Mb DDR Graphics
256-512Mb Memory (PC-133 or 2100)
2 UDMA100 HDs
1 CDRW
1 CD Rom

If possible I'd like to run both CD drives on master UDMA33 channels and the HDs as master on seperate UDMA100 channels, so I need lots of sockets.

PCI cards would be 1 modem & 1 Sound card.

I would prefr not to have on board sound, AMR, LAN, VGA, yawn...
Many thanks in advance

<b>
Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
</b>

Joseph_Bolo

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2001
You have a major project ahead you selecting all these components.

First, you need to decide what platform: Intel (P3 w/ SDRAM or P4 w/RDRAM) or AMD (Athlon w/ SDRAM or DDR)

Good luck
JB

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
DDR ram will not benefit a 850 MHZ intel cpu. Besides, if you are going to go with ?intel? at least get the benefit of a high performance intel chipset, like the 815. Ati cards are designed on them, not via. DDR right now will only benefit an AMD processor on an AMD chipset.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Just out of curiosity, why two hard drives? With the price of a 45GB, 7200RPM drive so effective I just don't get it.

If you go with 1, you will still have a socket open for the DVD drive later on a standard I815E baord.

Think about a CUSL2 with 512MB of PC133 CAS2, a 933MHz PIII CPU, the CD-R/W as the master on IDE1, the CD-ROM as the slave on IDE0 and the Primary ATA-100 HD as the Master on IDE0.

This leaves you the IDE1 slave open for future expansion.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

I have a lot of options, one of which is a RAID 0 or RAID 0+1 setup.

With the CD-ROM as slave on IDE0, will it not slow down the UMDA100 HDD?

Is the 815 chipset reliable?

<b>
Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best PIII motherboard is the Asus CUSL2. The 815E is reliable and a solid performer. If you want to overclock, the best processor to use is the 700E, which goes to 933 at a standard 133 bus setting (up from the 100 FSB stock). Most will also do 980 at 140MHz FSB. The 750E is not a viable option as most will not reach 133MHz FSB. The 650E is a good alternative if you want even higher bus speeds, it will go to 975 at 150MHz FSB.
If you want RAID, get a cheap RAID controller card for as little as $12 online.
If you prefer an older chipset, the Abit BX133-Raid is a good choice for the BX chipset.
If you would like the best VALUE, the Creative Blaster Board has built in SB Live sound, the BX chipset, and is available in a 9-bay case with the Platinum hardware, an FM tuner, and remote for $150 at tigerdirect.com. This option gives you jumpered bus settings, but voltage adjustments for overclocking must be made with an adjustable voltage slotket (FC-PGA to Slot One adapter card), or a modified standard slotket (I just made one).

Cast not thine pearls before the swine