Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Comp hard-freezing w/BC2 and SC2

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 15, 2011 4:59:51 AM

Hey TomsHardware.com I have been having some problems with my system locking up (cannot ctrl alt del quit) when I have been playing Starcraft 2 and Bad Company 2.

In starcraft 2 the game seems to lock up randomly time wise but typically it happens after I am in the menu and trying to quit the game, and right when my computer loads a battle (right before it starts). As for Bad Company 2, the game locks up in the middle of a battle.

I installed ATI catalyst 11.5 drivers just now and that has made no difference.

I am running the following hardware/OS:

HIS HD6950 2gb graphics card
8 gb corsair vengeance DDR3 @ 1333mhz
ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA1156 motherboard
windows 7 64 bit edition
i5 760 CPU

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
May 15, 2011 3:22:09 PM

Hi whatistaters,

First of all, have you tried defragging your hard drive ? Have you re-installed the games ( both ). Do you experience this same thing in another games ?

Run ccleaner also.
m
0
l
May 15, 2011 8:57:12 PM

Gman450 said:
Hi whatistaters,

First of all, have you tried defragging your hard drive ? Have you re-installed the games ( both ). Do you experience this same thing in another games ?

Run ccleaner also.


I ran ccleaner and defragged and it locked up twice again (bad company 2). Starcraft 2 is much more random and it usually does not lock up. I found some forum posts online and many others are having this problem with BC2. This is really the only game that has had this chronic of a problem.

Anyone else play BC2 and have trouble w/it?
m
0
l
Related resources
May 15, 2011 9:15:00 PM

Have you check if cpu is not over heating or is it overclocked.
My games lock up when the overclock isnt stable.
m
0
l
May 16, 2011 2:21:07 AM

Whats your Soundcard? I Know my BC2 Locks up/Freezes becuase my Realtek Onboard Sound doesn't like BC2
m
0
l
May 16, 2011 3:04:11 AM

best start with the basics. go inti bios and set hpetmode to 32 or 64 depending on the bit rate of your o.s.

make sure if your overclocked that c1 halt state is off same goes for any other power saving that drops cpu clocks like eist.

if your not overclocked then enable c1 halt ane eist only if you have any more c state powersaving leve them disabled.

check the resat of your settings to make sure they have not been changed on you oc or that there at auto if your not oc'd

save and quit

open windows, go to power saving and turn it off for now ie set it to high performance.

load up gpu-z and get a base line on your gfx and start a log. select update in backround.

start your game. and see if you lock up.

if it does then reboot and look at the gpu-z log to see what your max temp was

m
0
l
May 16, 2011 3:50:07 PM

I had the same issue with BC2 and ATI card. With a nvidia card it ran fine for over a year. Put in a HD6950 and the lockup started.

Disabled on board sound card and the game works fine.
m
0
l
May 16, 2011 4:23:10 PM

olin9 said:
I had the same issue with BC2 and ATI card. With a nvidia card it ran fine for over a year. Put in a HD6950 and the lockup started.

Disabled on board sound card and the game works fine.


How do you disable the board sound card?
m
0
l
May 16, 2011 5:09:29 PM

control pannel/sound/select realtech or what ever with the right click and dissable.
although the issue may not be with the onboard. rather a conflict between ati hd sound and onboard. if you dont have a sound card then onboard should be left enabled just disable the ati hd if you do have a sound card then disable everything bar the soundcard.
m
0
l
May 17, 2011 1:05:12 AM

HEXiT said:
control pannel/sound/select realtech or what ever with the right click and dissable.
although the issue may not be with the onboard. rather a conflict between ati hd sound and onboard. if you dont have a sound card then onboard should be left enabled just disable the ati hd if you do have a sound card then disable everything bar the soundcard.


I disabled everything except for the 'speakers' device in "sound" (including the ATI HD Audio HDMI out and AMD HDMI Output options), but my computer still freezes up. The last time it didn't have a repeating sound loop but still hard locked. My device is called "VIA High Definition Audio" by the way.

Is there any sort of compatibility issue between VIA HD Audio and bad company 2?
m
0
l
May 17, 2011 4:34:16 PM

If you have on board sound, you will have speaker jacks at motherboard level or just above, normally parallel to the motherboard.

Just enter the BIOS when the PC is booting up. If your PC shows the POST, it will indicate which key to hit to enter the BIOS. DEL, F1, or F2.

Find the setting for your sound card and select disable and then save and exit.


I was not even using my sound card, I use USB headphones.
m
0
l
May 17, 2011 4:36:59 PM

This motherboard has on-board sound. ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


My motherboard MSI P35 Neo2-FR had the Realtek ALC888T chip.
Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz
4 GB 4-4-4-12 ram @800
XFX HD 6950 2GB overclocked\shaders not unlocked. 11.3 drivers.
Windows 7 64 bit

m
0
l
May 17, 2011 7:50:34 PM

sounds like thop has hit the via problem.
as others have suggested disable the on board sound completely. sorry to say the via chipsets are pants. often the northbridge doesn't have a heat-sync which causes it to heat up and become unstable.
if theres any way of pushing more air into your case the better putting missing heatsyncs on the chipset will also help. turn off turbo mode if you have it and run the chip at stock to see if that helps.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 4:49:03 AM

HEXiT said:
sounds like thop has hit the via problem.
as others have suggested disable the on board sound completely. sorry to say the via chipsets are pants. often the northbridge doesn't have a heat-sync which causes it to heat up and become unstable.
if theres any way of pushing more air into your case the better putting missing heatsyncs on the chipset will also help. turn off turbo mode if you have it and run the chip at stock to see if that helps.


I wondered if it was this problem you mentioned. I actually disabled all sound drivers on my motherboard in control panel (AMD and VIA) and used my USB headphones. Still the same lockup haha. I even ran the game in a window (good performance still actually) but it also locked up around 10-15 min in.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 3:38:39 PM

You need to disable the sound in the BIOS.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 6:31:22 PM

Are you running MSI Afterburner? I had the same problem as you (hard lockup in the middle of battle, couldn't crtl+alt+del or anything, had to do a hard shut down) and closing Afterburner worked for me.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 8:07:02 PM

whatistaters said:
How do you disable the board sound card?


Did you try reducing the audio settings in game first?
m
0
l
May 19, 2011 10:39:44 AM

You Said you used a USB Headset? That should bassically count as a sound card and should've fixed it, i guess its not a sound problem? Overheating then?
m
0
l
May 19, 2011 11:21:47 AM

I never used my on-board sound card. But it was still enabled in the BIOS. and when i installed my new HD6950 video card, the game would do a hard lock after 5 -15 mins every time.

Check your motherboard manual, or the manufactures web site to disable sound card in the BIOS.

You can also check here for other options. http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/630/380660.page
m
0
l
May 20, 2011 12:30:00 AM

olin9 said:
I never used my on-board sound card. But it was still enabled in the BIOS. and when i installed my new HD6950 video card, the game would do a hard lock after 5 -15 mins every time.

Check your motherboard manual, or the manufactures web site to disable sound card in the BIOS.

You can also check here for other options. http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/630/380660.page


I disabled the on-board soundcard via BIOS and still locks up. I did, however, play a game w/o Punkbuster to see if there was a difference, and the game did not freeze. 15 min after joining a game w/punkbuster enabled and another hardfreeze.

Anyone know a way to fix punkbuster? I've read several forums, but either cannot find the files they are telling me to modify (PnkbstrB) or there was no difference in performance.
m
0
l
!