Sign in with
Your question

A7V & Ultra ATA100

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2001 1:46:22 AM

How do I get my hard drive to use ATA100?
I have just built this system and its very stable,no crashes of lock up so far.
AMD 900 T/Bird
Asus A7V 1007 Bios
Promise driver v160b33
256 RAM
Western Digital 30 Gig Ultra ATA 100 HD
Anhiliator Pro
Creative 52X CD ROM (Secondary IDE)
Creative CD Writer (Secondary Ultra ATA 100 IDE)
Sound Blaster Live.
When I run my Hard drive in the Primary Ultra ATA 100 socket.I get the message on start up that
"Ultra ATA bios not installed because there are no drives"
When I reboot and go to start up ,there is no information about the hard drive,cylinders etc.
When I run my WD Data Lifeguard tools floppy,It cant find the hard drive.(let me add the drive works fine in this mode!!)
When I checked my device manager I have SCSI Controller
WIN95-98 Promise Ultra 100 Controller(PDC20265).and my hard drive is listed under Disk Drives is this normal for the Hard Drive to be listed there?
I tried changing the hard drive connection to Primary IDE,I tried using the WD Data Life Guard tool floppy,and everything ran fine ,it detected the Hard drive and everything tested okay.I rebooted and checked the setting on start up,The hard drive was listed with all the correct info,cylinders etc.
I rebooted and when the computer was going thru the motions I see Im using Ultra 100 Bios 2.01 (Built)35.
My device manager looks the same with my Hard drive being listed under disk drives.
I would be greatful if anyone could assist me ,its getting on my nerves.

More about : a7v ultra ata100

April 26, 2001 2:10:53 AM

Here we go again!

-- If you recycled your computer, would you get enough money to buy a pizza? --
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2001 3:17:08 AM

Well ,that really helped!!

How about a little clue!!!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Harpo on 04/25/01 11:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 26, 2001 3:28:54 AM

Sorry, I'm still battling mine. There was a thread on it recently with plenty of suggestions but none have solved my problem. I'll let ya know if I figure it out.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2001 3:44:19 AM

I tried all that stuff,none of it worked. Im using Win98SE.
My system is really stable,thats the only problem I have.
April 26, 2001 4:05:10 AM

Same here. Very stable but I can't install windows (2k, 98 or me) on the 100 side. I can move the drives over once windows has already installed but although it works, it does wierd things.

April 26, 2001 5:05:58 AM

Sorry Harpo.. It's kind of a cart before the horse issue. To perform the correct from scratch install you will need the following.

1) 4 Blank Floppy disks, TWO OF THEM MUST FORMATTED AND BOOTABLE!!! The bootable disks MUST NOT HAVE autoexec.bat OR config.sys files on them and should be tested (boot into DOS using it) before beginning. The quickest way to accomplish this is to do a quick format in windows and click the "Copy System Files" checkbox. THESE DISKS CANNOT BE WINDOWS 98 RECOVERY DISKS!!!!! There is a BIG difference!

2) A copy of WINZIP MUST be downloaded and installed to unzip the files you will be downloading.

3) A copy of Windows 98 S/E

Steps:
For correct initial configuration of the A7V (NOT an A7V133) using ATA-100 you should perform the install using the following steps.

1) Obtain the latest BIOS from the Asus (Germany) web site.
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_A/VIA_Chip...

2) Obtain the aflash.exe utility to flash your BIOS to the latest revision. ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/BIOS_FLASH_UTILS/...

2) Obtain the latest Promise ATA-100 Drivers from the Asus (Germany) web site.
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/TREIBER/CONTROLLER/IDE...

3) Obtain the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers from either the www.viahardware.com where you will find 4-in-1 Version 4.30 BETA or from the Asus (Germany) web site where you will find the 4.29v final drivers at: ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/TREIBER/CHIPSATZ/VIA/4...

You will want to download all files to separate directories on your hard disk. I recommend using:
C:\TEMP\VIA for the 4-in-1 drivers.
C:\TEMP\PROMISE for the ATA-100 drivers.
C:\TEMP\BIOS for the BIOS and AFLASH utility.

First, unzip the Aflash files onto the FIRST BOOTABLE FLOPPY DISK.
Next, unzip the BIOS file to the FIRST BOOTABLE FLOPPY DISK.
LABEL THIS DISK - "BIOS BOOT DISK" with a felt tip pen.

Copy the programs FORMAT.COM and FDISK.EXE from your C:\Windows\command directory onto your SECOND BOOT FLOPPY DISK and label this disk, "System BOOT disk" with a felt tip pen.

Next, unzip the 4-in-1 drivers to a blank formatted floppy and label it "VIA 4-IN-1" with a felt tip pen.

Next, unzip the Promise ATA-100 drivers to a blank formatted floppy and label it "ATA-100" with a felt tip pen.

The Drive Configurations:
In order to get the hard drive to recognize correctly as an ATA-100, it must be attached to the end of the 80-pin ATA-100 cable (the black connector) and configured as the master device, the other end of this cable must be connected to the Primary ATA-100 IDE connector (the blue end of the cable goes into the motherboard). The middle (gray) connector would not be used at this time, but is available for adding a slave drive later.

Your CD-ROM should be configured as the Master device on the PRIMARY regular IDE connector at the end of the 40-pin cable.

Your CD-R/W drive should be configured as the Master device on the SECONDARY regular IDE connector at the end of the 40-pin cable.

This is done since if you want to copy CD's using the CD-R/W drive, they should not be on the same IDE interface, and as CD's will have a maximum throughput of ATA-33, they should not be on the ATA-100 interface.

Now that you have your drives on the right cables, you are ready to begin the installation.

Before you flash your BIOS, you will want to do a boot to edit your existing BIOS. Find the place where it asks for the primary video search order. It should be set to PCI/AGP INSTEAD OF AGP/PCI EVEN IF YOU HAVE AN AGP CARD!!! This is done only to allow the BIOS update to work and not make your system hang after the BIOS is updated, don't worry, you'll change it back later.

Insert the "BIOS BOOT DISK" in the floppy drive and power up your system. Once booted, do a "DIR" and write down the name of the extracted BIOS data file. It should look something like 1008.01b or something of that nature. Also ensure that there is no autoexec.bat or config.sys files listed in the directory. If they do exist, delete them and reboot.

Once rebooted and everything is checked out okay, type in: AFLASH

This will start the BIOS flashing software.
On the first screen, you are going to be asked if you want to:
a) backup your old bios.
b) flash new bios.

First, you want to backup your old bios. When it prompts you for a name, enter: A:o LDBIOS

Once completed, you will want to select to flash the new BIOS. It will prompt you for the file name. Type in the name that you wrote down previously. DO NOT INCLUDE THE A: when typing this in, but be sure to type in the file extension. As in: 1008.01d

The system will then ask if you are sure and you want to answer Yes. Once it starts, wait until you see the message, BIOS FLASHED SUCCESSFULLY, DO YOU WISH TO RE-FLASH. You would answer no here and then escape out until you get back to the DOS prompt.

REMOVE THE BIOS BOOT FLOPPY!

Next, YOU MUST PHYSICALLY POWER DOWN YOUR SYSTEM COMPLETELY. DO NOT JUST HIT RESET!!!!!

While the system is powered down, INSERT YOUR "SYSTEM BOOT DISK"!

Wait 5 seconds and re-power up your system, hitting delete to enter the BIOS. You can now reset your Video Detection Order to AGP/PCI and change your other settings as necessary.

When completed, save and exit.

Your system should now reboot onto the system boot disk.
You can now type in FDISK

You should now see the primary hard disk. If it already has partitions defined, delete them. Then create a new partition. We allocate the entire drive for large media support, so when the question arises say yes.

Once setup, you must exit the FDISK program and reboot.

Again, you will be at the A: prompt where you must now type in FORMAT C:

This could take a while depending on the size of your drive. Whatever, it’s part of the deal.

Once complete... GUESS WHAT? You're now ready to load Windows 98 S/E.

Reboot one more time with your Windows 98 Disk in the CD-ROM. I think everyone knows what to do from here, so I'm going to leave the rest up to you. You will need the two remaining driver disks to properly setup and Identify all of your devices, but I'm sure if you've done this for the old configuration, you can figure out how to load them for the new. This is pretty straightforward stuff. When it asks for the drivers, insert the disks. Not much more to it than that.

Oh boy do I ever hope I don't have to type this out again!

Good Luck
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2001 11:40:09 PM

Thanks Steve,I will try this out at the weekend.I hate messing around in Dos!!
!