The Final upgrade?

The only original part of my HP Pavilion 6306 AP is the CPU and
motherboard. Along the way in addition to changing hard drives,
sound cards, adding a video card more memory etc I moved from
the HP OEM W98 to W98SE then to XP Pro with MS upgrade packages.
I would like to replace the motherboard and CPU but retain my
existing XP Pro configuration, software etc. Given when I swap I
expect the system to recognise that it is no longer the original
Pavilion system the HP's OEM 98 was supplied for, how do i do
this? I don't mind buying a full version of XP if necessary
but will this allow me to swap the mobo and CPU?

--
Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.
4 answers Last reply
More about final upgrade

    When you did the upgrade to XP Pro, I would assume that you had to insert some
    sort of Windows 98 CD into the drive when requested by the XP Pro upgrade CD.
    Worst case, you would need to reinstall XP Pro again, but XP has gotten more
    tolerant than earlier versions of Windows re. motherboard replacements.

    The most likely scenario is that you'll install the motherboard (and a new power
    supply if the replacement motherboard is a Pentium 4, faster Celeron, or faster
    AMD), boot up the system, and XP Pro will complain but load some default drivers
    to give you a partly functioning system. After that, install all the drivers
    for the new hardware starting with the motherboard chipset drivers. Finally,
    you will undoubtedly have to authenticate the Windows XP Pro Certificate of
    Authentication again, either on-line or via phone call (worst case) to
    Microsoft.

    If you need to replace the power supply, you might as well replace the entire
    case at the same time to give yourself an easier chassis to work on. I've
    always found that HP cases were not designed for easy maintenance, but that is a
    personal preference of mine... Ben Myers

    "aussieblu" <zaussiblu@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > The only original part of my HP Pavilion 6306 AP is the CPU and
    > motherboard. Along the way in addition to changing hard drives,
    > sound cards, adding a video card more memory etc I moved from
    > the HP OEM W98 to W98SE then to XP Pro with MS upgrade packages.
    > I would like to replace the motherboard and CPU but retain my
    > existing XP Pro configuration, software etc. Given when I swap I
    > expect the system to recognise that it is no longer the original
    > Pavilion system the HP's OEM 98 was supplied for, how do i do
    > this? I don't mind buying a full version of XP if necessary
    > but will this allow me to swap the mobo and CPU?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Blue
    >
    > Remove Z from email address to reply directly.

    Supposedly when you swap a motherboard out from under an xp install, you
    have to do a repair install by booting with the xp cd. Before you change
    that motherboard though, you should find a way to backup your original
    windows 98 folder. That's all you need to satisfy the upgrade in case you
    ever need to reinstall xp. Good backup software will solve all your
    problems. I use an older verson of ghost, though I've heard newer versions
    have some drawbacks. You might try something else. Backup what you have now
    to cd or dvd, reinstall the original pavilion software, back that up, and
    you can pretty much do whatever you want to do from there.

    The case and power supply were replaced long ago. The problem
    is the motherboard is meant to have some sort of electronic
    tattoo that prevents you using the OEM W98 with anything else. I
    was thinking that when I swap the mobo there will be a mismatch
    with some hidden code on the current C harddrive (copied from
    the original harddrive) that says: " whoa boy this isn't the
    right mobo and this upgraded OEM MS operating system isn't going
    to let you play". The authentication cert for XP pro upgrade
    probably won't help. The ideal of a whole new XP pro OS and
    doing a repair sound like it's worth trying though.

    --

    "aussieblu" wrote in message
    > The case and power supply were replaced long ago. The problem
    > is the motherboard is meant to have some sort of electronic
    > tattoo that prevents you using the OEM W98 with anything else. I
    > was thinking that when I swap the mobo there will be a mismatch
    > with some hidden code on the current C harddrive (copied from
    > the original harddrive) that says: " whoa boy this isn't the
    > right mobo and this upgraded OEM MS operating system isn't going
    > to let you play". The authentication cert for XP pro upgrade
    > probably won't help. The ideal of a whole new XP pro OS and
    > doing a repair sound like it's worth trying though.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Blue
    >
    > Remove Z from email address to reply directly.

    The only time the tattoo comes into play is when you actually run a recovery
    with the original recovery cd. Whatever is already installed won't know the
    difference, though windows xp will notice the motherboard change and you'll
    have to do a repair install of that, and also probably reactivate it. That's
    a problem with xp and unrelated to the pavilion.

Hewlett Packard Windows XP Computers