Can't install Windows XP games on Windows 7

KTStarbuck

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I have a four month old Gateway laptop with i3-370M processor, 4GB RAM and ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 graphics card 1 GB, running on Windows 7 64-bit. Lately I've been trying to install some pc games on it. I got Starcraft 2, Age of Empires 3, GTA 4, and Star Wars: Empire at War all installed already. I've been having problems with some of my other XP games (Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, Star Wars: Empire at War Expansion, and DOOM 3). The problem is that even though the launcher comes up, after I click install, nothing happens. Any suggestions?

KTStarbuck

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

So XP SP2? Thanks

KTStarbuck

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I'm having trouble installing Fallout 3 on Windows7 64-bit. Every time I click install on the launcher, nothing happens. I've checked to make sure I have all updates downloaded on my computer, and have tried compatibility mode with XP SP2, but nothing works. I read on one thread that this game has SecuROM and that the game wouldn't work if you had any cd burning programs like Nero. Does that seem plausible, in which case should I remove Nero from my computer?

KTStarbuck

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Where can I find these updates? Thanks

KTStarbuck

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
So I've tried to do safe run and it gives me the no disc error. When I try compatibility with XP SP2 it says

---------------------------
Error
Fallout 3 does not appear to be installed and the installer could not be found.
Try exploring to your DVD-ROM drive and selecting setup.exe to install the game.
OK

No, Try and open the DVD-ROM, locate the setup.exe, right click on it and then properties , then in the compatibility tab, check Windows XP SP2. And then install the game.

KTStarbuck

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

I've tried that many times and it doesn't do anything.

KTStarbuck

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Yeah it's on, and I have the latest updates. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I sent an email to Bethesda almost a week ago about the problem and should hear back shortly. I think there might be something wrong with my computer though, I'll have to wait and see.

hmmm. then you may wanna change your av then as most will allow games to install even with there starforce and the likes drivers.
if your av is that intrusive change it.
avira. is a good basic free 1 that could tide you over till you can get a decent payed 1 like kaspersky, bit defender or similar. but you would need to add some sort of antimalware to compliment it.