Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't install Windows XP games on Windows 7

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 17, 2011 2:32:51 AM

I have a four month old Gateway laptop with i3-370M processor, 4GB RAM and ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 graphics card 1 GB, running on Windows 7 64-bit. Lately I've been trying to install some pc games on it. I got Starcraft 2, Age of Empires 3, GTA 4, and Star Wars: Empire at War all installed already. I've been having problems with some of my other XP games (Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, Star Wars: Empire at War Expansion, and DOOM 3). The problem is that even though the launcher comes up, after I click install, nothing happens. Any suggestions?
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2011 9:09:59 AM

All of the above should work in Windows 7 without any problems. Try locating the setup.exe on the disc, then right-click->Properties->Compatibility. Select Run as Administrator and set it to XP compatibility mode.
m
0
l
May 17, 2011 9:34:23 AM

do not have that kind of experence. but i know window 7 is compatiable to most of game which can run in windows Xp
m
0
l
Related resources
May 17, 2011 4:41:51 PM

Herr_Koos said:
All of the above should work in Windows 7 without any problems. Try locating the setup.exe on the disc, then right-click->Properties->Compatibility. Select Run as Administrator and set it to XP compatibility mode.

So XP SP2? Thanks
m
0
l
May 17, 2011 5:09:24 PM

I'm having trouble installing Fallout 3 on Windows7 64-bit. Every time I click install on the launcher, nothing happens. I've checked to make sure I have all updates downloaded on my computer, and have tried compatibility mode with XP SP2, but nothing works. I read on one thread that this game has SecuROM and that the game wouldn't work if you had any cd burning programs like Nero. Does that seem plausible, in which case should I remove Nero from my computer?
m
0
l
May 17, 2011 5:25:29 PM

Here's the specs:

Gateway
Intel Core i3-370M processor
4 GB DDR3 Memory
Windows 7 64-bit
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics 1 GB

Hope this helps
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2011 6:50:32 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Fallout 3 Installation
    m
    0
    l
    a b $ Windows 7
    May 17, 2011 7:39:04 PM

    install the latest updates and service pack. there is a msi update you will nee to install older xp games on win 7. i have install most of the above without issue or compatibility mode.

    update your windows installer.
    m
    0
    l
    May 17, 2011 9:55:24 PM

    HEXiT said:
    install the latest updates and service pack. there is a msi update you will nee to install older xp games on win 7. i have install most of the above without issue or compatibility mode.

    update your windows installer.

    Where can I find these updates? Thanks
    m
    0
    l
    May 18, 2011 3:42:49 AM

    So I've tried to do safe run and it gives me the no disc error. When I try compatibility with XP SP2 it says

    ---------------------------
    Error
    ---------------------------
    Fallout 3 does not appear to be installed and the installer could not be found.
    Try exploring to your DVD-ROM drive and selecting setup.exe to install the game.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------
    m
    0
    l
    a b $ Windows 7
    May 18, 2011 4:51:53 AM

    KTStarbuck said:
    So I've tried to do safe run and it gives me the no disc error. When I try compatibility with XP SP2 it says

    ---------------------------
    Error
    ---------------------------
    Fallout 3 does not appear to be installed and the installer could not be found.
    Try exploring to your DVD-ROM drive and selecting setup.exe to install the game.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------


    No, Try and open the DVD-ROM, locate the setup.exe, right click on it and then properties , then in the compatibility tab, check Windows XP SP2. And then install the game.
    m
    0
    l
    May 18, 2011 4:47:51 PM

    Gman450 said:
    No, Try and open the DVD-ROM, locate the setup.exe, right click on it and then properties , then in the compatibility tab, check Windows XP SP2. And then install the game.

    I've tried that many times and it doesn't do anything.
    m
    0
    l
    May 18, 2011 10:38:36 PM

    HEXiT said:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
    the latest windows installer ust select the 1 you need.
    btw you should have this via windows update... if its off turn it on.

    Yeah it's on, and I have the latest updates. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I sent an email to Bethesda almost a week ago about the problem and should hear back shortly. I think there might be something wrong with my computer though, I'll have to wait and see.
    m
    0
    l
    May 26, 2011 12:05:23 AM

    Ah, turns out all I had to do was disable all anti-virus programs that were running.
    m
    0
    l
    a b $ Windows 7
    May 26, 2011 2:56:11 AM

    hmmm. then you may wanna change your av then as most will allow games to install even with there starforce and the likes drivers.
    if your av is that intrusive change it.
    avira. is a good basic free 1 that could tide you over till you can get a decent payed 1 like kaspersky, bit defender or similar. but you would need to add some sort of antimalware to compliment it.
    m
    0
    l
    a b $ Windows 7
    May 26, 2011 9:05:44 AM

    KTStarbuck said:
    Ah, turns out all I had to do was disable all anti-virus programs that were running.


    Which AV are you using? You shouldn't have to disable your AV to install programs. Unless the disc has malware on it...
    m
    0
    l
    May 30, 2011 1:06:57 PM

    You would only have to disable your anti-spyware if there is malware on the disc
    m
    0
    l
    !