JustysRule

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2004
I want to install raid 0 with windows xp pro, but the copy of windows xp pro I have isn't a boot disk, and won't go into the installation from dos. I have a copy of windows 98 2nd Ed, but I can't figure out how to get from that to windows xp installation and set-up a raid config at the same time. Right now it has windows xp x64 beta on it, but I can't get drivers for my NIC, so it can't get on the internet. Any ideas?

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I have a TX2000 raid card with 2 80gig drives on it. All I do is boot to the cd (make sure the bios is set to boot to cd first) and start. The bios on my raid card has me make the raid 0 before it boots to the cd. Durning the proper time( when prompted by the install) hit I think it's f6 to load raid card drivers. You will load for a while and then be promted to put drivers disk in. it will load drivers and continue loading OS. You will see your raid as a large disk partion/format as you like and finish loading OS.

Hope this helped.

JustysRule

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2004
Thanks for the help, i'm gonna give that a try tommorow. Thats my problem, my xp cd isn't bootable. I take it I just copy everything on the cd into nero and burn the cd as a bootable, and use the .bin file provided on that website?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I think the problem is mrmonsoon is that his CD is not bootable. I have seen this problem where my friend was using the windows xp boot disks and then during the installation, you have to put in the disk for the raid driver. Well to finish the windows installation it needs the raid disk and the next windows disk. That is where I found the link on making your non-bootable CD a bootable CD.

RichPLS

Champion
I did not know that XP has a non-bootable installation disk...
The F6 option during boot allows you to install the RAID drivers and continue installation onto the RAID array.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
XP does have a non-bootable disk. I have seen it with my own eyes. There is a set of boot disks that you can download instead. The only probelm is, is when using the boot disks, at disk 4 (of 6) is when you need to install the raid drivers. Then they want disk 5 back in and therefore you can't install the raid drivers. I hope that made sense.

RichPLS

Champion
Is that MS backoffice or XP server edition?
My XP pro is only on one CD, why do they need 6 discs to install XP Pro/Home?

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Ahhh, The XP CD is bootable, but the PC does not support booting from CD-ROM.
You are refering to 6 floppy disks to boot from, maybe?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Sorry, I see where you were coming from. I should have been more clear. I was referring to the 6 floppys. If you read the site that I posted, it tells you how to add in a file to make the CD bootable (so you don't need the floppys). It works like a champ too. It also tells you how you can slipstream SP2 into the disk so it installs SP2 when windows is installed.

nightscar

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
I have a simular problem, I have a bootable xp pro disk but I keep getting a message at the end stating that windows could not find any HDD's to install on.

I have a abit AI7 MB and 2 80 gig SATA Hdd's.

I put a raid array on them and when going into windows boot disk setup I press F6 for installation of the raid drivers.

The only thing I haven't tryed yet is I do have a SATA Drivers disk?? it does not say anything about raid on it... you think this will work when xp ask me to put in a driver disk for raid?

The only thing that sucks is I don't have a 3 1/2 drive lol, in my main computer anyway... abit should of put all that on a bootable cd not a 3 1/2 disk. :/

Thanks for any help guys.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I installed mine on a RAID setup, but you will need a floppy to install the RAID drivers (at least I did). Floppy drives are pretty cheap. The biggest pain was getting the RAID BIOS setup, after that the windows installation was the same.