Sign in with
Your question

Do any current games compare to HL2?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 17, 2011 9:03:10 PM

Last month I built a new machine for a buddy of mine, now he's wondering where to find a decent game. I'd be happy with a copy of Portal 2, but he's not interested. He purchased Red Faction Guerrilla, played it for 15 minutes, then called me asking when HL3 is coming out. From what I've read, Black Ops will disappoint anyone used to HL2 AI/physics, and Crysis 2 crosses the line with too much unrealistic "action". Granted, the HL series isn't meant to be realistic, but it has balance.

He isn't interested in driving sims, multiplayer or puzzle-type games whatsoever... Any recommendations, or should I find him some good HL2 single-player mods? I happen to concur on the multiplayer opinion, not my thing.

thanks!

More about : current games compare hl2

May 17, 2011 10:25:24 PM

Crysis Warhead was alot of fun imo, and metro 2033 is GREAT as far as story driven, visceral fallout kind of story and environment.
m
l
May 18, 2011 1:10:46 AM

hl2 falls into the catagory of action rpg. some good 1s are masseffect 1 and 2 fallout 3 and newvegas. dragon age origins. eldar scrolls IV : oblivion...
there are also 2 expension packs for halflife 2. episodes 1 and 2.
and if you want to go old school then deus ex with texture mods may tick all your boxes.
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2011 1:14:06 AM

way to upstage me with amazing suggestions hexit, lol.
m
l
May 18, 2011 2:36:25 AM

Quote:
Needing a pc for gaming? contact us and we offer you tablet pc and laptop,Mp3/Mp5, ebook readers with high quality and cheap price, come on and have a look!
http://www.rubytechco.com

Well that's pretty cucka...yet another reason to keep the games offline.

Thanks for the suggestions (prior to the ad), will look into ME and Fallout. We've both played HL2 EP 1&2 many...many times. Nothing comes close....
m
l
May 18, 2011 3:07:11 AM

Adding to that, I'd be more than happy playing HL; vacant town on a LAN if it meant no more happydog-type garbage. Take me back to 1999.

If valve is done with single-player, we're out. Guess it's time to grow up and mow the lawn.
m
l
May 18, 2011 1:14:09 PM

Witcher 2 just came out and is downright amazing as far as single player story/action/mature RPGs go.

I second the suggestion on mass Effect 1 & 2.

Prejudice Section 8 just came out, and while the SP is sub-par (imo), the multiplayer plays like a blend of BF2142 and UT2K4 with deployable vehicles and a unique drop-from-orbit spawning mechanism (that lets you aim for an enemy's head if you want to try and spawn gib him)
m
l
May 18, 2011 5:47:59 PM

HEXiT said:
hl2 falls into the catagory of action rpg. some good 1s are masseffect 1 and 2 fallout 3 and newvegas. dragon age origins. eldar scrolls IV : oblivion...
there are also 2 expension packs for halflife 2. episodes 1 and 2.
and if you want to go old school then deus ex with texture mods may tick all your boxes.

ME:1, ME:2, Fallout3, dragons age, are RPG/Action games. He may not like the RPG aspect of these games.
m
l
May 18, 2011 8:15:42 PM

I am in no way bashing you or your friend's taste in games, but I just dont see how you can only play valve titles when there is a miriad of GREAT experiences out there. I have my favorite games too, but that doesnt rule out everything else as a viable option for a great, immersive experience. Witcher 2 is a prime example of a fantastic experience that far exceeds other action rpg's to date. Just because it wasnt by a developer of my favorite games doesnt mean there wasnt value to have. Like i stated, im not bashing you, just a bit perplexed as to why you would shortchange yourselves a GREAT experience by limiting what you play to " it isnt HL2".
m
l
May 19, 2011 7:43:57 AM

Left for Dead?
m
l
May 19, 2011 8:21:34 AM

HEXiT said:
hl2 falls into the catagory of action rpg..

Sure about that? It has no character classes, no levelling up, no items/powerups to collect beyond the normal weapons, ammo and healthpacks..

Not disagreeing with your suggestions, I just don't think HL2 is in any way comparable to an RPG.
m
l
May 19, 2011 11:55:45 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Sure about that? It has no character classes, no levelling up, no items/powerups to collect beyond the normal weapons, ammo and healthpacks..

Not disagreeing with your suggestions, I just don't think HL2 is in any way comparable to an RPG.

It seems his friend values strong stories:

Quote:
From what I've read, Black Ops will disappoint anyone used to HL2 AI/physics, and Crysis 2 crosses the line with too much unrealistic "action". Granted, the HL series isn't meant to be realistic, but it has balance.

So a non-Crysis shooter. Lol.
m
l
May 19, 2011 11:56:03 AM

Herr_Koos said:

I agree. HL2 is a FPS, plain and simple.

As others have stated, he should get HL2:Ep1 and HL2:Ep2 just to complete the story line.
m
l
May 19, 2011 12:08:26 PM

Story line to date, you mean...

I think it's safe to say Ep3 will never happen now, so we might be looking at a fully fledged sequel. Valve had better be working on something epic....
m
l
May 19, 2011 1:23:36 PM

One can only hope!
m
l
May 19, 2011 6:55:01 PM

ave05 said:
Last month I built a new machine for a buddy of mine, now he's wondering where to find a decent game. I'd be happy with a copy of Portal 2, but he's not interested. He purchased Red Faction Guerrilla, played it for 15 minutes, then called me asking when HL3 is coming out. From what I've read, Black Ops will disappoint anyone used to HL2 AI/physics, and Crysis 2 crosses the line with too much unrealistic "action". Granted, the HL series isn't meant to be realistic, but it has balance.

He isn't interested in driving sims, multiplayer or puzzle-type games whatsoever... Any recommendations, or should I find him some good HL2 single-player mods? I happen to concur on the multiplayer opinion, not my thing.

thanks!

actually, COD (MW1/2) and latest Medal of Honor: Black Ops come pretty close to the play style you find in HL2. HL2 is less objective oriented and you get a bit more freedom of exploring. But in terms of linearity COD series match it pretty well. In terms of plot the games are about the same. There are some very thrilling, atmospheric missions, even though they are few. Don't discount them just yet, because COD:Black Ops got bad reviews.

You might look at Rainbow Six Vegas series. Vegas2 got mixed reviews, so see if you'd like it or not.

ME 1&2 are kind of FPSy, especially the 2nd one because they took out all the messing around with items.

Look at F.E.A.R. series, I think 3rd one coming out soon or came out recently.
Left 4 Dead and Dead Space might be worth checking out but I don't know if they got single player or not (no personal experience)

If you would consider less linear games, the open environment ones are
Stalker (call of prypiat, blue sky, shadow of chernobyl), Far Cry 1/2

as I someone mentioned already, there's a myriad of FPS genre games out there, you just have to look at what titles are out there, what play style they got and if they got any features you like or would like to try out.
One thing I disagree with the most is people base their opinion of the game based on some1 review/opinion. How can you know if you dis/like the game if you haven't played it. From personal experience, once upon a time I was absolutely against touching racing games or fighting games, but then once I tried NFSMW and Tekken. And those might be not the best in the series, but at the time, I spent months playing those games. Even though I haven't picked up another title from the series ever again, I still don't regret playing those games, and I wouldn't say I didn't like them.
m
l
!