Problem with Steam/Half-life 2

hd5850bldr

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I'm having trouble getting Half-life 2 to play. I just recently purchased a new computer. Today I got my old Half-Life 2 box out and installed it using my original disks and my cd key. It says it was installed but when I go to activate it steam doesn't recognize that it's installed, I get the message:

"Installation of half life 2 Retail Standard is required before continuing.

Please insert your Half Life 2 Retail Standard CD/DVD into the drive and select "Install" from the autorun menu."

The problem is half-life 2 is already installed. When I put in the disk it asks me to play half-life 2, If I click that nothing happens. The cd key and the disks are original and all legit. Could the problem be windows 7 64bit? I was thinking maybe windows just wasn't telling steam that HL2 is installed. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling steam to no avail. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

hd5850bldr

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I tried reinstalling the game a few times but still didn't work. Where can I register my copy with steam and download the game files? I looked on the website and couldn't find anything like that.