The Witcher 2 on ATI 5650m

farighlarka

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hey guys, I have a core i3 350m 2.3 ghz, 4 gb ram, and a ATI 5650m 1GB. Will I be able to run Witcher 2 on my laptop. The videos I looked showed very high graphics. I can currently play Bad Company 2 multiplayer on medium settings at 720p comfortably on my laptop with about 40 fps. Is Witcher 2 more demanding than Bad Company 2? Also if it will work on what settings will I be able to play this game? And I heard that people were having issues with outdated drivers. I have a Sony VAIO and Sony rarely updates its drivers all the while not allowing to update from ATI directly. Do you think there might be problem here?
Looking forward to quick replies. Can wait to hit "Purchase for myself" button in Steam.
Thanks

Solution

The 5650M is supposed to be a higher-performance GPU than my GT330M, which plays it OK with medium settings if I turn off SSAO. My laptop has an i5 rather than an i3, but there shouldn't be much difference in CPU performance as I believe the game is multithreaded and hence the i5 won't use its turbo mode.

farighlarka

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

I checked on "Can You Run It" and the site passed my laptop without any upgrade suggestions for Witcher 2 while BFBC2 just passed the minimum test.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

The 5650M is supposed to be a higher-performance GPU than my GT330M, which plays it OK with medium settings if I turn off SSAO. My laptop has an i5 rather than an i3, but there shouldn't be much difference in CPU performance as I believe the game is multithreaded and hence the i5 won't use its turbo mode.

Solution

kleung77

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
VAIO E, huh? I have the same machine. At "low spec" with the 2 textures related settings set to "no down- scaling" and "small" (up from the default lowest setting under low spec), I am getting like 25~30fps.