Abit BH6 and Celeron 766

G

Abit hasn't answered my email, so I'm going to post the question here:

Based on the specs for the Celeron 766 CPU (66 mHz FSB), it should work in the Abit BH6. I bought one, downloaded the latest BIOS from Abit, flashed, popped in the new CPU (on a Slocket of course) and booted up. During POST, the board correctly identifies the CPU as a Celeron 766, but I get the message "CPU Unworkable or has Changed....". I can hit F1 to boot up anyways, or hit ESC to go into the CPU Soft Menu. I go to the softmenu, and 766(66) isn't an option for me. The highest I can do is 700(66).

So, I emailed Abit about the lack of support for the properly working 766(66) CPU and have gotten no response from them (about 2 months so far), and no CPU upgrade to support the 733(66) and 766(66) have been posted. The CPU works great if I hit F1 to continue when I get the POST error - benchmarks verify that I'm running at 767 mHz.

If someone could kindly tell me the proper SoftMenu settings to get the error message to go away I'd appreciate it. I can't auto-reboot the PC without being in front of the keyboard any more.

Sincerely,
Kevin Royalty

G

Try user define settings. use 66mhz with a 11.5 multiplier.
66.6 X 11.5 = 766
Make sure you've got the right bios flash for your mb revision, there are 2, 1.0x and 1.1x Look at label on mb to determine if necessary. Neither revision on abit site lists support for the 766/66. Check your slotkett jumpers + Suggest setting to auto. Can't say for sure if it will help with error message.

<b><i>"Bad advice is expensive, Good advice is priceless"

G

Thanks! I went into the Soft Menu, and set the multiplier to 11.5. No other changes made (AGP/PCI, etc).

It worked perfectly (no more error messages) on bootup!

Kevin Royalty

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kevin_royalty on 04/30/01 02:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>