beginner needs help

G

I have a advanced/atx thor motherboard triton 82430 chipset, 166hz pentium 2-hope this makes sense to someone?.
I would like to upgrade the processor but have been told that it will only take a 200hz pentium maximum.
could anyone tell me if this is true? if it is could i use the idea suggested on this site about amd k6 chips and if so how big could i go ,or if this isn't true what size pentium could i go up to.
One other thing, i tried to overclock the processor from 2.0x to 2.5x on the jumper settings as suggested by another site but my computer would only start in safe mode with all sorts of other problems.
sorry if this is long winded but i am only a begginer and have tried to explain as best i can. Any help at all would be very very much appreciated, thanks

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I would replace everything dude...if you are a begginer stick with intel...but it is time for all new.

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

I would get a new system mate.

Even a second hand PII 233 upwards may be an option, but like cars, you never know what your getting.

Are you based in the U.K?

<b>
Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
</b>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you dont have pentium-2, its old pentium 166 MHz processor, and you could upgrade it to maximum 233 MHz. its a TX chipset (the 82830TX - thats triton) so it might support 83 MHz bus (intended for cyrix chips but they never got past 75) - you could use AMD K6-II (dont go for k6-2plus) chips that are supposed to run at 100 MHz bus, but you will have to underclock them at 75 or 83. with that a 500 MHz K6 will run at 83x5 that is 415 MHz or a 550 MHz chip will run at 456 MHz. thats it. you also can put cyrix chips that are available upto 333 MHz and run on 66 MHz bus that you board supports.

the question is, what is the highest multiplier your board supports, just refer to the manual or there are multiplier and core voltage jumper settings tables are printed on the silk screen on the motherboard, locate them and confirm.

basically you should go for a brand new system, but if you do not need today's high speeds and are satisdfied with your current system, then go with it. you system is still pretty usable even with windows 98 with 32 MB RAM!

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

G

Thanks for the replys people, i think i will just stick with what i have for now as i plan to buy all new towards the end of the year ,i was just after a quick and easy speed boost to see me through the next six months.
thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS