HP Visualize X-Class (A1280) Expects 2 CPUs

Hi folks,

I need some help with a few HP X-class Visualize workstations. The
configuration is a single CPU slot 1 733Mhz plus VRM in position 2,
two pieces of 256MB reg ecc SDRAM (PC-133) in 1A/1B, matrox millenium
PCI video card.

When powering up the workstation, the bios complains it expects 2
1000MHz CPUs. Running the DIAG routine lists CPU 1 fails, CPU 2 passes
and the ram passes. Tried clearing the BIOS switch and removed the
battery but still it fails the first CPU.

I couldn't find anything about setting the number of CPUs in HP's pdf
guides.

Would appreciate any suggestions people have.

Thanks,
Art
5 answers Last reply
More about visualize class a1280 expects cpus

    I think I have the solution. In the User Guide on page 118, it shows a
    processor terminator card in the unused slot. See attached photo. The
    table of LCD error messages also references a missing terminator when
    it says socket error.

    Art
    =======
    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:13:59 -0400, GWN <atw58@rogers.com> wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >I need some help with a few HP X-class Visualize workstations. The
    >configuration is a single CPU slot 1 733Mhz plus VRM in position 2,
    >two pieces of 256MB reg ecc SDRAM (PC-133) in 1A/1B, matrox millenium
    >PCI video card.
    >
    >When powering up the workstation, the bios complains it expects 2
    >1000MHz CPUs. Running the DIAG routine lists CPU 1 fails, CPU 2 passes
    >and the ram passes. Tried clearing the BIOS switch and removed the
    >battery but still it fails the first CPU.
    >
    >I couldn't find anything about setting the number of CPUs in HP's pdf
    >guides.
    >
    >Would appreciate any suggestions people have.
    >

    >Thanks,
    > Art

    On the seventh day, GWN wrote...

    > Would appreciate any suggestions people have.

    stumbled on that issue a few hours ago. it seems the BIOS has
    multiprocessing switch so have a look there.

    HTH

    Little Golden Book That Never Made It: Dad's New Wife Robert

    Strange, the monitor stays black and no video appears. Should the BIOS
    come up even with the CPU error?

    Thanks,
    Art

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:48:10 +0200, Christian Dürrhauer
    <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

    >On the seventh day, GWN wrote...
    >
    >> Would appreciate any suggestions people have.
    >
    >stumbled on that issue a few hours ago. it seems the BIOS has
    >multiprocessing switch so have a look there.
    >
    >HTH

    I think I have the real solution. The video does not come on unless an
    AGP video card is used. Switching from a PCI card to AGP solved the
    problem.

    The CPU terminator was not needed.

    Thanks,
    Art
    ====

    GWN wrote:

    > I think I have the real solution. The video does not come on unless an
    > AGP video card is used. Switching from a PCI card to AGP solved the
    > problem.
    >
    > The CPU terminator was not needed.

    well, it is needed. The machine might work w/o it, but the frontside bus
    needs proper termination, otherwise you might experience data corruption
    or strange errors...

    Benjamin

Hewlett Packard Workstations CPUs Computers