The Witcher 2 Performance?

Chieftexas

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Hey all,

Thinking about picking up The Witcher 2 this week and was curious what kind of performance people are seeing, and with what system specs. Seems like a beast of a system is required to run at highest settings...

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
It's playable on my i5/GT330 laptop with medium settings, but gets around 1fps if I turn everything on. I believe the maximum settings are intended for the next generation of graphics cards, though some people say they can play the game today with everything enabled.

Personally though I thought the depth of field effect looked horrendously ugly so I woudln't want it in the first place.

Chieftexas

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Cool thanks for the info guys, I just picked it up last night but am having a hell of a time trying to install it. My bluray drive is apparently unable to read one of the files so installation fails near the end of the first disc. Going to pickup a cheap dvd drive later hopefully that will solve the problem.

Chieftexas

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I haven't experienced much stuttering, only once or twice so far during large battles but for the most part it is running very nicely for me (About half way through the campaign so far). Running on Ultra with ubersampling and ssao disabled, getting an average of 45 or so fps using Phenom II X4 2.8Ghz and 2GB 6950 w/ unlocked shaders.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
also shadows in the game just like smoke can be hard on the card so lower those too and you should be fine. Game is not that hard on cards I have a 5770 sapphire and I get no studder at any point and got the game on highest settings. also I think this is one of those games that run better on an ati card than a ndvidia type cards. For example I tired out sims midevil and could run on high settings but when turning the camera I got just a bit of stuttering poped in my buddies ndvidia card which I remember was lower than mine and no studder at all when moving the camera. Best answer I could get out Of computer techs is that some games lean toward one manufacturer than another

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I call shenanigans on the entire previous poster's comment.

The transparencies won't affect framerate. Your 5770 is nowhere near as powerful as my card and I have some choppy cutscenes, but my gameplay isn't affected. Your buddy loaned you his card so you could compare framerate in Sims?!

fail

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Well at the time framerate was not my concern It was just choppy when I was turning the camera around and a friend who owns a computer store said some games run better with different cards....thats all that was. well as your card is bigger than my card( and Im not here to argue) I have no trouble whatsoever in game play or cutscenes on high res with my card
maybe you have do downclock your card a bit. I have givin that advice to some ppl and it said it worked. and not balancing out your rig ca sometimes lead to little studders like that