Best gaming AMD platform for gaming?

G

What would be the best AMD platform for hardcore gaming?

Thanks

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hardcore mobo, hardcore Thunderbird, hardcore memory, hardcore harddrive, hardcore video card, hardcore sound card, hardcore speakers, hardcore monitor… Everything else could be softcore.

By the way, what does the "best platform" mean, mobo or the actual "platform" (ie. carpeting, hardwood floor, cabinet, etc?)

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
You might think a reply like that is funny, but it's not helpful at all, and the main reason for these boards is to discuss and help.

From what I have heard, A7M266 is not really ideal for a gaming platform, it only has one PCI slot which has an exclusive IRQ the rest are shared. The explanation as to why this would affect a gaming system is a little long, but the answer is in the forums from before, so you can just do a search. But I would get a MSI K7 Master or a K7 Turbo with the new bios is meant be really good now. ECC DDR PC2100 RAM, Athlon 1.33 GHz, GeForce 3, Soundblaster player 5.1, good speakers, and an IBM deskstar 7200 RPM HDD. Iiyama or Mitsubishi 19" monitor. That's what I've ordered anyway :) hehe but I think that should be savage enough.

Beer is the devil's piss.

RCPilot

Champion
Just put together a 1.3 t-bird-c 266 fsb for my son & it rocks. We used the Asus a7v kt133a mobo & started with 256 megs pc133 ram. He needs the ultra card now & he'll be there. It's the second the system I've put together with via bridge chips & it is rock stable right out of the box, for me. I've read the posts about via, but I've had good luck with them. I'm running a 1 gig t-bird with the ultra card & it rocks as well. I have the a7v kt133 mobo @ 200 fsb. You can see some more speed on my sons computer though. If you want to save a few bucks you could go 1 gig, but if I was you & it's out there, I'd get with the 1.3 gig. I'd stay with sd pc 133 ram though right now, ddr ram mobo's aren't there yet from what I read.

Skinny

How do you eat a elephant? One bite at a time!

G

I can't believe you think that beer = piss. I liked your choices for platform, except I really don't think that DDR is as good as it should be. Also not priced very good.

There is no problem that an Optimator can't solve!