Sign in with
Your question

Games ideas for a netbook

Last response: in Video Games
May 21, 2011 9:17:32 AM

Hi guys,

Recently i got a good deal on a Samung NF110 Netbook, got it because i'm travelling around europe for a few months in the summer and this particular machine is nice and small with a great battery life. While i'm away i only strictly need it for web browsing, skype and storing photos etc. but i want to put some decent games on it. Obviously i realise that i can't run anything remotely modern but there are some really good old games out there and i wanted some opinions on some that will work on:

Intel Atom N455 1.6Ghz
1GB 1066Mhz DDR3
GMA 3150 Graphics 384Mb Shared Memory
250GB 5400rpm Hard Drive

First few games i tried were Minecraft, Diablo 2, Sim City 3000 and Age of Empires 2. Sim City seemed to run ok, Age of Empires and Diablo 2 ran ok but the colours were a bit messed up. They seem playable though. Minecraft was very laggy, pretty much unplayable. I'm thinking that 3150 doesn't like 3d rendering so i guess ill stick to 2d games. I'm about to try Caesar III, Shogun Total War and possibly a game boy emulator, i'll let you know how those go.

So does anyone have any other ideas? Also if anyone has any insight on fixing the weird colours or making any of them run faster it would be appreciated. Thanks :) 

More about : games ideas netbook

May 21, 2011 3:41:13 PM

Those strategy games will make your netbook struggle with a 1.6 cpu...Super mario..LOL, only kidding, check Lego star wars or Halo, they are fun.
June 15, 2011 3:10:03 AM

I know urban terror works. Counter Strike might work with a netbook.
Related resources
June 15, 2011 8:26:51 AM

you will be limited as far as what you can play on the netbook. Check out GoG.com and see if there might be some old school games you might like that you should be able to run
June 15, 2011 12:27:03 PM

lol I think at this time he would be in holiday or back...
June 15, 2011 2:38:41 PM

try GOG, and some old DOS Based games with DosBox,
They there are the classics (StarCraft Broodwar, Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight (this is a nice long game and $5 on steam + the expansion ($3.00), WarCraft 2, Quake 1 and 2, the original Duke Nukem 3d, the original Unreal and perhaps Unreal 2 Tournament,
Personally, I would install DOSBox and play some classic GoldBox games on there, very old school but lots of game play time, many you can get on abandonia.

You could also get a Nintendo/Gensis Emulator and game controller and play some old console games (Super Mario Bros 3 perhaps?)
June 15, 2011 3:20:14 PM

Take a look at Terraria which is a recently new game based loosely on Minecraft. It's quite addictive and fun and it will not be very CPU or GPU intensive. Another thing I might mention is any of the Command & Conquer or Red Alert series. I have used those on my netbook when travelling and they run fine.

In addition to your gameboy emulator you might want to try and PSX emulator where you can play PS2, PSP games, etc. I have one on my main PC as well as my netbook and they are always fun to play.

As well I'm sure you can find some recent arcade games that won't be too graphically intensive that are still fun to play. Games such as the ones on popcap that you can download are a bunch of fun. Plants vs Zombies is always good too. You can see there are tons of options :) 
June 15, 2011 4:14:37 PM

There been a bit of a disaster with my trip and so i'm back now but thanks a lot for the suggestions :) 
June 15, 2011 4:30:16 PM

Solitaire will run pretty well on your system. Maybe Freecell.

Seriously though, You're not going to be playing any serious games on that thing, mostly 2d time wasters. Civ III should run okay. . . MAYBE Civ IV

I'd think anything before 2003 or so without 3D rendered graphics should run smooth, other than that you're making it do something it really, really wasn't made for.
June 15, 2011 5:26:19 PM

fyi, the classic C&C games may not run on Windows7, I have heard issues with it, but the games are free so it won't hurt to try them out.
June 15, 2011 5:38:43 PM

if you wanna have some fun with DOSBox there are some pretty solid games from the windows 9x era, I remember Descent and all the point and click games from my childhood.

Of course you could always do emulation. . . so long as you own legit copies of the games you're emulating.
June 15, 2011 6:34:23 PM

internetlad said:
Solitaire will run pretty well on your system. Maybe Freecell.

Seriously though, You're not going to be playing any serious games on that thing, mostly 2d time wasters. Civ III should run okay. . . MAYBE Civ IV

I'd think anything before 2003 or so without 3D rendered graphics should run smooth, other than that you're making it do something it really, really wasn't made for.

No offense but i think i made it pretty clear that i know that netbooks are not made for gaming at all. There are still tons of good games that will run fine on it though, i was just after those suggestions. Ive been playing a bit of AOE2, Caesar 3 and Shogun Total War.
June 15, 2011 7:42:50 PM

jmsellars1 said:
No offense but i think i made it pretty clear that i know that netbooks are not made for gaming at all. There are still tons of good games that will run fine on it though, i was just after those suggestions. Ive been playing a bit of AOE2, Caesar 3 and Shogun Total War.

I'm sorry if i sounded condescending, that wasn't my intention, I just wanted to make sure that you weren't expecting miracles.

Keep an eye on steam, you can pick up some solid indie games with low requirements (albeit often poorly optimized) in the daily deals, and they'll often throw out older games on wicked sales. watch for the Humble Indie bundles too, you can get a solid pack of "casual" games at whatever price you want to pay, so there's no way you can get a bad deal unless you choose not to.
June 16, 2011 12:34:05 PM

internetlad said:
I'm sorry if i sounded condescending, that wasn't my intention, I just wanted to make sure that you weren't expecting miracles.

Keep an eye on steam, you can pick up some solid indie games with low requirements (albeit often poorly optimized) in the daily deals, and they'll often throw out older games on wicked sales. watch for the Humble Indie bundles too, you can get a solid pack of "casual" games at whatever price you want to pay, so there's no way you can get a bad deal unless you choose not to.

Ok no problem, no harm done. Thanks for the suggestions.
July 28, 2011 4:17:01 PM

Another vote for Terraria. I am using it on my Netbook and in fullscreen it's great! Smooth, and because the screen is so small the game actually has great graphics fullscreen, unlike my other computers... Almost like it's a dedicated Terraria console ;) 

I've become re-addicted to Simcity 2000... lol.

February 19, 2012 6:21:42 AM

hey half-life 2 works with my net book. =)
!