Asus A7V133 ATA 100 problems

G

Asus A7V133 ATA 100 problems

I know that this is a long explanation, however I have been struggling with this for a month, so bare with me. I recently purchased an Asus A7V133 Mother board with the Avia KT133A chipset and the Promise ATA 100 controller. I have been trying for the past four weeks to get this motherboard up and running. My computer is configured as follows:

New case with 250 watt power supply
New AMD 650 Duron processor
New 256 Meg 133 SDRAM
New Panasonic floppy drive
Maxtor 20 Gig 7200 hard drive from old computer, ATA66
Acer 40X CD ROM from old computer
Pacific digital 4-4-24 CD burner from old computer
New TNT 2 M64 video card
Sound Blaster Live Value from old computer
New A-Open 56K voice fax modem
ViewSonic GS790 19 inch monitor
Aletec Lansing surround sound speaker system
102 generic keyboard
AOpen PS2 wheel mouse

I have loaded Windows 89 SE more than 20 times (probably closer to 30 times I lost track). The following error occurs 100% of the time when installing Windows 98 SE on a formatted hard disk. ( clean install )

After Windows files load in and it’s setting up the hardware, you get a window that says Hardware detection of non-plug and play components. Every time it gets to the 33% mark on the monitoring gage it hangs and the following message is posted MSGRV32 HAS PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION PROGRAM WILL BE SHUT DOWN.
I looked at the details of this error and it said that there was a GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT IN MODULE SYSDETMG.DLL AT AT0004:00006a86.
When I restart the computer it looks to me that it skips the hardware detection of non plug play devices, After windows installation finishes and I boot up I end up getting one of the following errors below at the end of the start up sequence. Also if you go to the control panel and add new hardware icon, let windows detect new hardware it will hang with the same error as above.

Also a couple of time during one of my many clean installs, I ran into this error and could not finish the installation, I reformat the hard drive and started over. FATAL EXCEPTION 06 HAS OCCURRED AT 0028:C027BC39

On start up I get one of the following errors, no other software has been loaded at this time, only windows, to a formatted hard drive, what I call a clean install
10% of the time – Mprexe has performed and illegal operation and will be shut down restart your computer and if problem persists contact program vendor.
10% of the time – Mstask has performed and illegal operation and will be shut down restart your computer and if problem persists contact program vendor.
10% of the time – Explorer has performed and illegal operation and will be shut down restart your computer and if problem persists contact program vendor.
10% of the time – Ntkern Windows protection error, it does not make it through the boot sequence
60% of the time – windows will start up without errors, however it takes a long time and later it comes up with errors when you try and load other software like the CD burner software Adept Easy CD Creator. Then the following error will occur 100% of the time Createcd has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down reboot your computer and if problem persists contact program vendor. I tried two different CD that are different version (3.5 and 4.05 versions of this software ) same problem.

When windows starts without any errors, I have actually been able to install and play BattleZone. I have loaded other software like Office 2000 and I can start and work with Word and Excel, I have also installed ASUS Probe and that seems to run OK. However, when opening files from Windows Explorer I often get the Illegal operation error.

I did not change any of the jumper setting on the motherboard the factory defaults were what I wanted. So it’s in jumper free mode.

SOFTWARE DRIVERS
At first I got new drivers from the Internet and tried different combinations. I tried not installing the 4 in 1 drivers and ran with standard VGA only drivers that Windows loads in. I tried only installing the AGP driver, and many different bios settings. I updated the 1003 bios on the motherboard to the latest on the ASUS web site to ver. 1004. I got the latest NVida TNT2 divers etc… etc…. etc… etc… Each time doing a clean install on a formatted hard drive. Nothing worked I would always end up with illegal operation errors described above. I also got another windows instalation CD thinking my CD was bad, no changes same as above.

HARDWARE CHANGES.
I tried an older 1.2 Gig Maxtor hard drive and reformatted and performed a clean install,
I removed both PCI boards, (modem and Sound blaster),
I then changed to an older AGP card from my old computer Diamond speed star 8 Meg.
I tried an old 2D PCI, Video card 2 meg.
I then tried different ribbon cables for hard drive and CD-ROM,
I tried another CD ROM drive from another computer,
I removed the 250 Meg of PC133 ram and installed two 32 Meg PC 100 RAM modules from my old computer
I tried two other keyboards,
I tried a different mouse,
I tried a an old 14 inch VGA monitor,
I bought a 350 watt power supply, now currently installed,
Last I tried another floppy drive.
Every time a swapped a component, I reformatted the hard drive and reloaded Windows (clean install). Nothing has worked I still get illegal operation errors on Windows install as well as Windows start up’s.

@#$%&*(*&%$#

At this point I had swapped every component in my system except the AMD 650 Duron processor and the ASUS motherboard. So I took the motherboard and CPU to the computer store. They put them on their test bench and used an ATA100 hard drive with an old ATA 33 ribbon cable, and connect it to the IDE connectors beside the floppy connector. Long and be hold windows loaded OK ( NO ERRORS )

I took it back home and tried again outside the computer case just to make sure that it was not my case that was interfering with the motherboard, it acted exactly the same as above, illegal operation errors.

At this point I will also point out that all drives for the most part were hooked up to the IDE channels beside the floppy disk connector and not the ATA100 IDE connectors. The last few times I connected to the ATA100 connector after fdisking and formatting the hard drive using the ATA100 IDE cable provided, the system reacted exactly the same as above, illegal operation errors. My Maxtor 7200-RPM is not ATA100 drive, it’s an ATA66 drive.

My conclusion is that you need an ATA100 compatible drive, however the manual says that the ATA100 controller is backward compatible??

I do not want to buy an ATA100 hard drive is there a patch or workaround for this problem??

Does anyone have any othe ideas?? Please help.

An extremely frustrated and very disappointed Asus customer!!!!

Geppino Talarico

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I've used my board with an ATA66 disk so I doubt that's the problem. Did you try using an old 40-pin ribbon cable, just like the guy in the shop did? Also, was the guy in the shop using your case/power supply, or his own?

G

Yes I tried 5 different ribbon cable, old, new, and ones used on my old computer. When I used a 40 pin cable in the ATA100 channels the system will not recognise the drives. You can use a 40 pin connector on the IDE channels beside the floppy connector, the system loaded, however, it did not make any difference I still got illegal operation errors on installation as well as start ups.

I bought a 350 watt power supply and currently running with it, I also tried hooking everything up outside the case, no change.

I’m convinced that there is something wrong with the motherboard, one of the buses perhaps.

I was not present when they tried my motherboard at the store. I called them and they said that I could work with the bench tech to see if we can resolve the problem. I’m also bringing most of my hardware so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Geppino Talarico

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>When I used a 40 pin cable in the ATA100 channels the system will not recognise the drives.</b>
It seems weird because ATA100 and ATA66 use same cable 80-wire 40-pin cable and your HD is ATA66. It should be used together. BTW, which IDE connector you plugged your HD in (Onboard ATA66 or Promise ATA100)?