Antialiasing-2 or trilinear

Solution
hmm... but AA and AF is quite different. If those are the only options you see, then put it in trilinear, antialiasing x2 can only make things worse.
anti aliasing is different from triliniard filtering.
triliniar filtering sets the depth distance for texture details. its a rougher version of anostropic filtering which has 16 levels each 1 increases the distance at which say floor tile patterns show b4 they blur off into the distance.

antialiasing is the metheod of smoothing the edges of polygons so you dont get jaggies.

Glasher

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
In WoT settings I'm offered antialiasing-2 through 16 or trilinear, and must choose only 1 of those. That's why I'm asking... I haven't the juice to run high graphics and am trying to lower it.

no your being offered anostropic filtering with biliniar, triliniar or anostropic 2-16 anno filteres deal with depth of field

anti aliasing is totally different. it deals with pixel smoothing. and has lots of levels like fsaa 2-16 msaa-4-16 ssaa 2-16(depending on the game and where you set it.

if you have an option to go from biliniar to triliniar to anno x2-16 then put it on anno and go as high as you can until it affects performance.

Glasher

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I had a fine system with all the computing/graphics power I needed. The MoBo took a crap and until fixed I picked up a cheap laptop.
In order to play a particular online game, I was needing to set the game graphics to get the the best FPM I could, considering my lack of knowledge.

My apologies. This aparently has been my error from the start by not being exact with what my wording of the settings and the choices I was given. I tried to clarify my 1st mistake by continuing to misword the issue with...

"In WoT settings I'm offered antialiasing-2 through 16 or trilinear, and must choose only 1 of those. That's why I'm asking... I haven't the juice to run high graphics and am trying to lower it."

And Gman450, you answered with...

"hmm... but AA and AF is quite different. If those are the only options you see, then put it in trilinear, antialiasing x2 can only make things worse."
Which actually did fit my issue as far as I could tell.

The only reason it went this far is because I wan't paying attention to Hexit to begin with, who's eyebrow was the first to raise.

Yes Hexit, on the game under 'Graphics Quality' there is a setting option for 'Texture Filtering' where the options were as you 1st brought up, "anti aliasing is different from triliniard filtering." I never had known, until your thurough explanation, the difference between the two so they always seemed to read the same to me over the last seven years. That's why your first reply didn't register in my mind. Again, my apologies and thank you for your help. A copy of your explanation is now in a folder.

no need to apologies. its game manufacturers deliberately **** up there settings.
often they can set up menus that dont actually make sense.
i have seen games that let you have anti aliasing settings but suddenly they offer trilinear filtering in the same menu... basically they may know how to program a game but not every 1 that works on the game understands gfx setups.