Epox 8KTA3 NO Audio out!!!

chau_ya

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Hi all,
Appreciate if you can help me out. Just installed the EP-
8KTA3 and T-Bird 750. Things are going smoothly. CPU temp is
at 41C iddle. My problem is that I do not have audio out
from the MB speaker jack. I checked the BIOS set up. It looks OK (enabled) to me. Did I miss something here? Anyone
out there with this mobo, please help.
Thank you.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you plug your Speaker's jack into the connector thar is next to Serial Port? BTW, in Windows did it ask you to install driver for integrated sound card?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Just built an 8KTA2 - you definitely have to install the audio drivers from the CD that came with the MB. Windows may or may not prompt you for them. Just run the autostart on the CD, you'll see the audio driver option.

Nice board for the money.

PS - I had lockups when I installed the VIA 4 in 1 drivers with this board (not sure which version came on the CD) under Windows 2000. So I decided to omit them, and just install the Microsoft Busmaster patch. YMMV.

chau_ya

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Hello KHHa4113 and Jlanka,
Thank you both for helping. This is the steps I did when installing the board:
1. MB+cpu installation+all cables hookup.
2. Power on. PC boots up.
3. Use Epox CD to install drivers. I believe I installed all drivers on the CD but maybe I forgot audio drivers.
4. I DID remember to connect the speaker cable to the speaker jack of the MB. I intentionally postponed installing my SB sound card (physically).
5. Try to play a game CD on the CD-ROM drive: NO sound!!
The game asked me for a sound card. Of course, during this step, I connect the sound cd-rom out to the MB-CDIN1
connector.
6. Very frustrated!! I installed my SB card. Move the speaker cable to the SB card audio out. Then I had sound.

I'll give it a try later to reinstall the audio drivers from Epox CD. It is too early to conclude if this is a diffective MB, but I suspect the culprit being the Via chipset. How do you two think ?

Regards.