Long LIVE VIsta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
How many of you are still loyal to Vista and stick with it until Win8 or at least the end of WINSP3?

Marketing was the reason to why the average PC user shunned Vista, there are those of us who bought Vista and were able to deal with its shortcommings but in the end its not a bad OS.

Check this out: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/w [...] M_comments

Jonmor68

Distinguished
I'm also upgrading, while I didn't have any problems with Vista I like 7 more, but apart from that W7 does something that Vista can't in Australia, that is use the EPG in Media Center.
Due to licensing arrangements with copyright holders. I would have to pay an annual subscription fee to a third party to use the EPG in Vista, so it's cheaper for me to upgrade then pay annual fees. As far as I know the USA and Europe doesn't have this problem.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Only $50 to upgrade? So can you use your old PAID Vista system afterwards?

Then its not worth it... Id rather have BOTH Vista AND Windows 7, so Ill wait for the motherboards that have USB3.0, Built in HDMI, and Win SP1 or 2.

I've been using an MSDN copy of the 7 final release for a few weeks now. It's not really out of the gates impressive in terms of performance, but the new features and the nice little extras really make it something great.

And networking with it is about 30x faster than Vista. Seriously. Connections are established almost instantly - and there's none of that "unidentified network" crap.

It's spectacular. I just booted my notebook, and the internet was connected and ready before I had my cursor over the icon to select the network I wanted (it chose the right one anyway)

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I went from XP to Win 7 and I have to say that Win 7 (x64 Ultimate) is just a much smoother experience. XP is dated and has mostly run its course as far as usefulness is concerned IMO. Ride the wave or get washed out to sea...Windows 7 is great if you choose to see.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

I hated xp at first too, didnt think it was as good as 98se, but i learned to love it, you are the first person i know to actually hate xp. i agree with you on vista though, after the first sp, didnt see why people still hated it, love windows 7,it's like apple macintosh good.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

Agree with frozenlead, windows 7 runs everything i have except nero 7 premium, and zone alarm, i am dual booting right now, when i get my permanet copy installed gonna only use 64bit win 7

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I have a legit RTM copy of 7 Pro x64, which i'm going to install on a new HDD, i've used the beta and RC, and if not for all the problems i've had in the past few weeks with swapping drives into my new system, I wouldn't be switching. I'm just going to fresh install on the new drive and transition over. 7 is improved in some areas, but I hate the look, and would rather have an exact copy of 98's theme, like XP. You can get close on 7, but it's not the same.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005

I have tried it - and I have licenses available if I want via MSDN - just prefer XP.....

Those of us in IT had a "mantra" going way back to the 1980's as far as MS OS's were concerned and it still holds .... "It's still a beta until SP3".

While I don't think MS will ever reach the bastion of reliability that NT4SP6a was (have machine behind me running NT4 24/7 for over 10 years, XP actually became pretty reliable after SP2. Until then, I was spending 80% of my time with XP boxes, although they accounted for only 15% of our installed base.

Many people are thinking Windows 7 as SP3 for Vista. For the 1st time in many, many years, business are considering roll outs within the 1st year of release.

http://bx.businessweek.com/microsoft/view?url=http%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Fmicrosoft%2Fnews%2F2009%2F07%2Fsurvey-41-percent-of-it-admins-to-adopt-windows-7-by-2010.ars

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I haven't really used Vista much. There were too many driver issues when I had considered it. That not withstanding, I have been using the RC for Windows 7 for a few months and absolutely love it. I have had very few compatibility issues. I will also get the final release with MSDN and can get another copy through my school cheaply. Windows 7 all the way

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I liked 98SE, XP 32bit became useful, XP64bit was ok, but because nobody made drivers for it, it wasn't useful to me. I am always tormented by others because I never had any issues with Vista on my system, therefore I like it.

Because I am getting win7 for cheap, I will move to it. Time for a change.

If you don't like change, you could always get win7, but use the XP mode. It looks and feels similar to XP. You would not even know the difference.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I have Win 7 Pro through MSDN. It's great, but I'm going to let it grow up a little before I jump ship. Dual booting OSs will work for now.

Vista works so well for me. I can't see getting rid of it but maybe after I use Win 7 more I'll eventually get over it. I do really enjoy the "Show Desktop" button on Win 7's desktop, and the window selection how it's more refined over Vista. I've stated in another thread that when I try to create a shortcut for a folder to my desktop, windows explorer crashes constantly. I can't seem to place a shortcut to a folder in the quick launch either. What a shame. One of the things that keeps me using Vista.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I love Vista. Its the most stable and virus free operating system I've used EVER. I've used every version since Win95.

I tried Win7 and wasn't crazy about it. No plans for Win7 in my future.

Something we can agree on.

Yes you would. It only supports a single processor core and zero graphics acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.