Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from pirated XP

Last response: in Windows XP
March 16, 2005 3:05:37 PM

I picked up a PC that is running a pirated version of XP Pro. I'd like to get a legit version on there so I can get updates etc, but I don't want to do a complete reinstall because I don't want to have to reinstall all of the programs and patches already on there. I own a legit,unused version of XP Home. Can I install that as an "update" and get rid of the pirated crap on there and not have to redo everything?

More about : upgrading pirated

March 16, 2005 4:07:07 PM

I don't think you can update from Pro to Home.

<pre> psst, better not let 4ryan get wind of this. </pre><p>
<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
March 16, 2005 4:12:13 PM

Short answer: no.

First of all, the machine has XP Pro and you want to install XP Home. There's no way a Home Edition CD will 'update' a Pro installation. If you want to install your legit version of XP Home, you're going to have to start over. You could set it up to dual-boot... but either way you're still looking at a fresh install of XP Home.

Another option is to change the CD key of your XP Pro. I know Ryan will blow his top over this suggestion... but it is the only possible way of doing what you want to do without wiping it out and starting over.

My suggestion is that you format the PC and install Home. That way you can be safe and sure that you're running legit software.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
Related resources
March 16, 2005 4:14:58 PM

You can buy a license from MS and then use that key on yuor current installation without reinstalling. The installation CD does not care which key is used with at, and you can change keys.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
March 16, 2005 4:15:54 PM

<pre>Fact, in the thread below, some posters might be able to give you a link to find some keys that might work, then you could use update.</pre><p>
March 16, 2005 7:23:58 PM

Shhhhhh. We're all pirates in that thread!

March 17, 2005 3:30:05 AM

Ryan is an ahole. Stop dancing around him.

If you want to change the key it's very easy. Whether a home key will work on a Pro installation I don't know but you could try it. Nonetheless, if you want a fully legit copy of windows you'll have to do a fresh install.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
March 17, 2005 5:32:25 AM

I understand that you got the new monitor and are very pleased with it. Do you still have the link to that calibration tool I gave you? Whats the highest res that you have tried so far?

BTW, your sig sucks :lol:  Tighten up, I like your other one much better!

<font color=red>Now that I have given up hope, I feel alot better</font color=red>
March 17, 2005 5:54:01 AM

I can't make anyone happy with my sig.

I downloaded that file, but can't remember what it's called so I can't find it. I have too many hard drives now. PM me the name or the link and I'll give it a shot. Since it's a LCD I'm running it native at 1920x1200 and I love it.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
March 17, 2005 6:07:19 AM

<A HREF="http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/b_e.html" target="_new">http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/b_e.html&lt;/A>

I use the 5th one down. The Monitor Calibration Wizard. The others are probably good also. Be sure to bookmark that website, its got everything you could possibly want in benchmarking software.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is that the first three boxes on each page effect the rest of the boxes on that particular page. Youll see what I mean. Just make sure that when your looking at the boxes to keep your eyes fixed on the whole box. The middle will blend in if you take your time. You will find out just how good of a mouse you have if you choose to use the wheel.

<font color=red>Now that I have given up hope, I feel alot better</font color=red>
March 17, 2005 9:30:04 AM

The fifth one down once you select monitor tab on the link.

March 17, 2005 11:18:54 AM

Quote:
Ryan is an ahole. Stop dancing around him.

OK, just becuase it's you!

@Threadstarter - PM me and I'll tell you exactly what to do.

March 17, 2005 11:30:20 AM

I wouldn't of called it dancing, moshing, maybe :) 

March 17, 2005 1:20:07 PM

Yes, go to the monitor tab first. I thought that I had linked straight to the page. Did you download it?

March 17, 2005 3:57:34 PM

Suppose I pick up a legit version of XP Pro. Will it let me do an upgrade from that or do you think I'll have to wipe and reinstall?
March 17, 2005 4:36:13 PM

buy a lisense from ms, and follow this instructions on the site I gave you.

You can't get much more legit!

March 17, 2005 10:09:15 PM

Do yourself a favor and run a fresh install after a format/u

One huge problem with overlaying valid installs is duplicate files, especially profiles. Unless you love files with .00x after them. Another reason is the critical restore feature. Yet another reason would be the product updates identifying the correct updates needed. It is a known problem even among layered valid installs that you can get caught in an update loop - one where MS Updated keeps trying to update the same critical update.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
March 18, 2005 4:29:46 AM

I know for a fact you can pop in an XP SP2 Pro CD and upgrade a pirated copy of windows to SP2 and enter a valid CD Key in the process, I have done it.

All you programs will remain installed, buy when you do a repair installation like this anything with product activation might detect the change and require reinstallation and reactivation.

Also some low level utilities may need reinstalled.

Not sure what happens if you repair install home over pro?

BTW pirated copies still are able to use windows update, but that is supposed to change soon. Automatic updates will still work for pirated copies since MS doesn't want the net polluted with hacked PC's.
March 18, 2005 4:50:12 AM

I found the file but it errored on install. Complained about permissions but I'm logged in as admin.

I'll check it out tommorrow. I"m gonna try to get some sleep.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
March 18, 2005 5:03:03 AM

Speaking of sleep.... I see that Arnold is back and speeding as usual.

<b>Ned Flanders said that im a BAD ASS</b> :lol: 
March 18, 2005 6:38:19 AM

hahahahahahahahaaaaa

March 20, 2005 5:52:30 AM

I thought that you might like that :lol: 

<b>Ned Flanders said that im a BAD ASS</b> :lol: 
!