Best Board in the Universe

G

Just bought a new Intel Pentium iii 1GHz coz the price was right. Here in Hong Kong Intel processors dropped 30% in price. Hey, what is the best Motherboard for my new Mighty Midget puny Intel processor? Want to get the best out of a poor investment. I'm using a VIA694 GA-6vm7-4e and Sandra 2001 says it sucks rod. Please help... Cheers

G

The Highest performing PIII Chipset is 815, so I'd say go with the Asus CUSL2-C.

VayVay

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
You could also try the ABIT SA6R, it's got everything the ASUS board has plus an additional ATA/100 RAID controller. I have an ABIT BF6(Intel BX Chipset) with a PIII 800e and I am extremely happy with the quality and stability. And I hear the SA6R is even better. Also whatever you do stay away from anything with a VIA chipset, I had one before my BF6 and it gave me nothing but problems. Even though it had ATA/66 instead of ATA/33 as well as other performance "enhancements" it performed much worse across the board on benchmarks than my current board, and crashed AT LEAST once every few hours if not more. Not to mention the compatibility problems with my Live! Platinum and my GeForce. I will NEVER buy another VIA product as long as I live which is why I have also avoided AMD. Sorry for the rant, but I feel strongly about this. (Like you couldn't tell ;) Good luck with your new rig.

-Jason<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by VayVay on 05/01/01 04:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Couldn't agree more. If there is any advantage to a P3(EB) compared to a T-bird (besides being a cooler running cpu) it's the reliable and compatible i815E chipset.

G

Any i815E chipset motherboard will be stable and reliable.. look for added feature's that you may want. Like RAID and settings for overclocking. I recommend Asus or Abit boards.