Abit KT7A-RAID locks up when connecting to interne

G

I've just bought and built a new system with a Abit KT7A-RAID, 1GHz Athlon, 40 GB IBM 60GXP(?), SBLive player 5.1... The system works fine until I connect to the Internet via my network card, it starts to download the first page and then the whole thing locks up and I have to reboot... any ideas?
I've installed the latest drivers for everything...

/Niklas

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
What OS are you running?

Is ACPI enabled?

Have you tried switching expansion card PCI slot positions?

Are you using the Raid Controller? If so are you running a Raid array?

G

Thanx for your answer, I'm sorry that I forgot these facts...

>What OS are you running?
I'm running win2k pro

>Is ACPI enabled?
What is ACPI? I can't say that I've heard of it before... I'll try to find out what it is...

>Have you tried switching expansion card PCI slot positions?
I've tried a few and it didn't make any difference. I'll try the rest of them...

>ZAre you using the Raid Controller? If so are you running >a Raid array?
I've got it installed but I only have one HDD so I guess I don't use it... or do I? And can it interfere? How do I disable it?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
ACPI is probably enabled by default. In a small number of cases it can cause problems. Usually works fine with W2K. If you look at your device manager and most of your peripherals are sharing one IRQ, thats ACPI at work. So sometimes disabling it will fix a problem such as this which is most likely some kind of IRQ conflict.

To disable it, you would choose standard PC (if you double click on the Computer icon in the device manager, and select driver properties for the ACPI PC) and show all devices.

But I wouldn't disable ACPI initially. In addition to trying different PCI slots, I would try surfing the net without your sound card (I'm assuming there are no other expansion cards besides Sound, Video and NIC).

Also, since you only have one drive I wouldn't suspect any Raid controller SNAFU's, but which contoller is the one drive attached to? The Raid or IDE0/1?

G

>In addition to trying different PCI slots, I would try >surfing the net without your sound card (I'm assuming >there are no other expansion cards besides Sound, Video >and NIC).
Yep, I've removed the soundcard and uninstalled the software for it... no difference.

>Also, since you only have one drive I wouldn't suspect any >Raid controller SNAFU's, but which contoller is the one >drive attached to? The Raid or IDE0/1?
It's attached to the IDE0.

I thought of another thing. As of now I have to systems, one old and the new one(both win2k), the networkcard is working just fine on the old one and it works fine on the new one according to the device manager(until the system hangs when connecting to Internet). I went to the manufacturers site to get the latest drivers but they didn't have any for win2k, just for WinNT4, but it works on my old system with win2k... I'm thinking that it due to the lack of "original" drivers for win2k, maybe my networkcard is too old for my new mobo(KT7A-RAID)... just a thought...
could it be?

G

>AFA your NIC, it would be great if you could try a >different one out.
(I guess NIC = network card) I don't think I can try another one, caus then I'll have to set up a new network account and that'll take about two weeks(the ones who set it up needs the number on the cards)...

What do you think about my idea that the network card is too old for KT7A-RAID?

I have another problem that you maybe can help me with. I bought an 1GHz Tbird 266 MHz to have with my Abit KT7A-RAID, the problem is that it only clocks 750Mhz(100x7,5). I've tried to change the settings in the bios but it seems like my alterations makes no difference, it boots with the old settings. Shouldn't a new Tbird start with the right clockfrequency automatically?
I could probably use the penciltrick but then the warranty is jeopardized and I mean, I shouldn't have to do that...

thankful for your answers...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
>(I guess NIC = network card)

Network Interface Card

>the ones who set it up needs the number on the cards

You should definitely get yourself a cable/dsl router (linksys, and other vendors) Then you don't have to give a rats a$$ about whats on your side of the box. Set it and forget it, as Ron Popeil would say.

>What do you think about my idea that the network card is too old for KT7A-RAID?

Whats the make/model?

>I bought an 1GHz Tbird 266 MHz to have with my Abit KT7A-RAID

I may be wrong, but isn't that flavor of TBird meant for a DDR MB/Chipset? Maybe thats why the autoclock sensor in the BIOS is having trouble?

G

>>What do you think about my idea that the network card is >>too old for KT7A-RAID?
>Whats the make/model?
It's a D-Link DFE-530TX
http://support.dlink.com/product_id.asp?productid=DFE-530TX

>I may be wrong, but isn't that flavor of TBird meant for a >DDR MB/Chipset? Maybe thats why the autoclock sensor in >the BIOS is having trouble?
God damn... that sounds correct, can't I use it with my mobo(KT7A-RAID) then? If that's true... geez, I'm stupid...

G

whoohoo... phew... looked it up and KT7A-RAID is suppose to support the Athlon 266MHz... got scared there for awhile...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Well, even though the dlink website doesn't list drivers for 2000, I can't see why this NIC wouldn't be compatible. Looks like a thoroughly modern NIC. Does 2K have drivers for it?

G

Yes, win2k sets up the NIC without any trouble and it works just fine according to the device manager...
maybe I should try to set it in the bios not share IRQ with any other device...

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the same mobo and processor, and for some reason when i first installed it, it posted as a 750 MHZ, and in the BIOS it was listed as 500 MHZ. Don't ask me why. I was careful to check the stepping on the core, so i knew it was a 1 GHZ 266 FSB. My thinking was also that the mobo should have accurately detected the processor and set it to the correct clock speed and FSB. But it didn't. Who knows why.

However, when i got done fiddling around with getting the computer set up, i was able to just go in and change the clock rate to what it was supposed to be without a problem. as far as I know, you should be able to go into your BIOS and change the speed regardless. Mine has settings well over 1 GHZ that i can choose from, even though it is sold as a 1 GHZ processor. Whether it would let me select them i don't know, as i haven't tried (it's running just fine at the appropriate speed and FSB). Have you looked at the stepping on the processor to make sure you were sold the right kind of processor? That would be the first place I'd look if you haven't confirmed that for sure yet.

also, (i know this is silly, but just being thorough) are you SAVING and exiting the BIOS, or just making the changes and exiting the BIOS? I beleive the F10 key is the choice to save any changes you've made and exit the BIOS.

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

G

Sounds like a logical and correct solution, I'll try it tomorrow, got to go and play some soccer - life is more than puters...;)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
One quick thing to do is locate the BIOS setting, <b>Reset Configuration Data</b>. In later BIOSes it is labeled, <b>Reset ESCD Data</b>, or something like that. Whatever it is labeled, enable it. You'll find the option in the PnP Configuration section. Enable this option whenever you change PCI and AGP hardware. This will force Windows to re-interogate your hardware. This often fixes strange conflicts.

If that does not work see if your network card is sharing an IRQ with anything besides PCI Steering? If it is you might wish to move it to slot 5 and disable the HPT370 contoller, (since you are not using RAID). This will guarantee the network card does not share an IRQ. Disabling any legacy ports that you do not use can also reduce IRQ sharing problems. If you use only USB devices it is a good idea to disable the legacy ports. Disabling COM2 would free IRQ 3, disabling LPT1 (printer port) would free IRQ 7, disabling and COM1 would free IRQ 4. Although all of the IRQs might have been reasigned to other numbers by Windows, freeing them might still eliminate problems. (Don't forget about reseting the ESCD data as I mentioned above).

If neither of these help try reading the Instability Section at <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm" target="_new">Paul's Unofficial Abit KT7 FAQ</A> for many more tips

G

here's a different approach I recently had the same problem & went through most of the same poss solutions you are tryin, my system is close to yours (keep in mind i am very new at this & couldn't possibly give you the insite that some of the heavy hitters in here can )so here was my solution, i called my cable isp & they said it is conflicting software problems i was on my own 1 go to your start button go to run type in msconfig & hit enter, on the generel tab click selective startup, then on the startup tab top right clik it then go down that list & uncheck everything but scanregistry-systemtray-loadpowerprofile & whatever your modem program is mine has 4,i unchecked 3of them, if your moniter has program leave that checked too now restart & try hooking up, well that worked for me good luck

G

Isn't msconfig a win98 application? I'm running win2k... or am I wrong? Sounds like an interesting idea though...