to beep or not to beep...

G

Hi!
I’m putting together my new computer and have an unusual (for me) problem.
When I push the power on-button, after the system has been brought down normally, the first time the power-on sequence does not end. Power-on and disk leds are on, but keyboard leds do not briefly flash....and there´s no beep.
After that, another push at the power on will not have any result. Same with reset.

But, if I disconnect the power source (unfortunately it has no switch, so I have to unplug it), then the power- on secuence completes: keyboard leds flash and finally the much expected beep....after that, everything goes smoothly, Windows ME boots, etc.

This happens always when I get out of windows, and sometimes when the system asks for rebooting, ie. after driver installation.
And it started before installing the software.

Apart from this, the installation of my ABIT KT7A-RAID was a piece of cake, although I have not yet tried connecting my discs as Raid array. I installed the software according to the procedure outlined in the Abit site and Paul’s unofficial.

My configuration: AMD 1,2GHz (retail with AMD heatsink and fan), ABIT KT7-RAID, Matrox Millennium G450 AGP 32 Mb, Soundblaster Live! Value, 2 x Western Digital 20 Gb 200BB, Soyo Mid-Tower case, 400W power source. Windows ME and latest official BIOS, 4in1 and HPT370 drivers. Mobo with default settings mostly, yet.

Thanx for any ideas you might have.

G

I made some research and found a very specific entry in Abit's official FAQ page...
Turned out to be a case of corrupted CMOS...a few seconds of the jumper in the discharge position cured the ailment.
Should have done that at installation time...
Thanx.