Via chipset probs?

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
So if I put together an AMD Duron system am I going to hate myself? I'm trying to get into a mobo w/ upgradability, but I read here, in various posts, where changing hardware and such can be a nightmare due to Via chipset problems. I would be starting w/ a duron 800mHz, Asus A7V133a mobo (for future upgradability), SoundBlaster PCI128, Voodoo3 3000 PCI, 3Com ethernet. At some point in the very near future I would want to upgrade my graphics card to a GeForce2 pro. After that, various upgrades (cpu, sound card, etc.) as desire and finance dictate. I just want to play 3D games, surf the net, word processing (just small insignificant personal crap). I'm not into overclocking & all the various tweaks described in these forums (sometimes seems to be the cause of 99% of the problems I read about?). So, am I going to do OK w/ this setup or am I going to spend many sleepless nights wondering why this or that doesn't work?

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Have you considered any mobo's with AMD or hybrid chipsets? My only experience is with athlon mobo's, but AMD generally does ok. Also, the via KT133 chipsets seem to be everyone's favorite for speed and stability.

I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, then you keep talking.

TRENDING THREADS