Asus P2B Plug&Play HP722C

G

I have the following problem : I have installed a HP722C printer on my PC but after each boot I get a message from Windows 98 SE saying that it has found the printer and will proceed to install it . I cancel the request to install and continue my business . It is only annoying because I have to cancel the Windows PNP for the printer every time I start the computer. Motherboard is A S U S P2B chipset 440BX ,P2B BIOS is latest version Ver. 1012. 04/20/2000 ,default values selected.Can anyone help me ??

G

Thanks for the reply.
Yes the printer is installed and is working fine.I installed the latest driver for the printer. The problem is with the Bios . I sent an e-mail to Asus but have not received any reply . HP's procedure is to not follow the PNP Windows procedure . You cancel Windows PNP procedure and you go with the install file on the HP CD-ROM . The PNP Windows should not resume on the next boot-up.
HP says:"Contact the computer manufacturer to ensure that the computer's BIOS (CMOS) port settings are configured to a bidirectional mode such as ECP, EPP, or BIDI.
The LPT port settings in the computer's CMOS and in the Windows Device Manager need to be compatible. If the LPT port in the Windows Device Manager is configured for a bidirectional mode (for example, ECP Printer Port LPT1), the computer's CMOS setting for the LPT port must also be configured for a bidirectional mode. Otherwise, Window's Plug and Play will try to reinstall the HP DeskJet printer driver every time Windows is booted."
I have to recheck my Bios but I think that everything is ok.I have flashed the latest Bios from Asus and selected default values.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Sounds like default settings on the printer port might not be what you need. Play round with a few other ones (there aren't many) until you find the one that satisfies the requirements.