ready to upgrade, will this system be stable?

G

I'm putting together a system that I would like to be stable and more or less trouble free. It's a mix and match of new and currently owned parts, so if anyone has a similar setup or knows of any potential problems (faulty/cheap/bad products or incompatability between 2 or more products), let me know. Any recomendations are welcome.

Will buy:
Memory: OCZ Performance Series 'Enhanced' PC150 256 MB
Motherboard: I-Will KK266-R (will flash to the most current bios)
Processor: Athlon C 1Ghz (266 Mhz FSB)
Cooler: Swiftech MC462-A (and the rheostat (to control fan speen) when it is in stock, unless someone can tell me how to make one)
Video Card: Geforce 2 MX400 64MB SDRAM AGP w/ TV out. (either eVGA, Ledtek, or INNO3D...anyone know which is better?)
Network: either (Linksys ETHERFAST 10/100 PCI LAN CARD) or (D-link Systems DFE-530TX + 10/100) (which one is better?) or any solid ethernet card under $25, suggest
Case: 9 bay case from webuildpcs.com (6 x 5.25, 3 x 3.5 (1 internal, 2 external), removable motherboard tray, generic 300W power supply, 3 case fans, a few drive rails (to put future Hard drives in 5.25 bays).
Mouse: Micro Optical USB/PS2 5-Button Scrolling Mouse (am buying off of a friend for cheap)
Fan: need a fan/heatsink for the north bridge to get higher FSB (recommendations on fans anyone?)
CPU shim from Coolerguys.com or cpufx.com
Arctic Silver II
To unlock the proc for OCing, I was going to use a conductive metal pen. I've also read about the little slips that have the 4 little metal strips in them so all you have to do is lay it over the L1 bridges and line it up so that all the bridges are closed...anyone remember this and know where I can get them if they are better?

Already own:
Sound Card: SBLive value
Modem: Phoebe Microsystems 56k hardware modem (internal ISA)
CD-ROM: Generic 52x
CD-RW: Plextor 12/10/32A
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD450AA (45gig, 5200rpm, ATA66)
Internal 100MB Iomega Zip Drive
Floppy drive: have one
KB: Microsoft Natural (PS2)

I'm already aware of the problems w/ the Sound blaster card and the VIA Chipset (making the system unstable, crackling noises) and will probably use the onboard audio until I get more $$$ for a different card, unless the new driver from VIA fixes the problem. I'm also aware of the FSB overclocking with the I-will board, so I'm getting the Athlon C to avoid the problems altogether. I'm sticking with the I-will board because it has 6 PCI slots (for when I get more cards), and 1 ISA slot (for the modem I have, as well as when I need to test other ISA cards for other people). I chose it over the A-bit KT133A because I heard it is more stable. I'll be dual booting with Win2k and either Mandrake or Redhat. I also plan to run the FSB around 140-150 and the CPU up to about 1.1Ghz or so. Any comments would be nice.

-Phr0st-e

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sounds pretty nice, i dont see any compat. problems. just to let you know, i have an A7V which has the VIA KT133 chipset and also a SB Live MP3+ and have had 0 problems with compat or sound quality, so it seems to be more of a very specific problem and you look fine.

also i highly recommend the Dlink DFE-530TX + 10/100. i have one i every computer i own, they are sooooo nice and fast, stable and cheap. its not often that i get to recommend a NIC to someone, but i am definitely satisfied with the Dlink cards.

<A HREF="http://www.512productions.com/lobstermagnet/" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>

G

i've seen a netgear 10/100 FA311 for $5 after $10 rebate. very nice card.