Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Trouble installing age of conan on windows 7

Last response: in Video Games
May 23, 2011 6:50:41 PM

Whenever I try to install AoC (recently picked up) my computer randomly shuts down and goes to the sceen asking if I want to restart windows in it's various modes. What do I do? Please help.
a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2011 3:40:20 AM

Could you please elaborate your problem a bit more ? Your PC shuts down randomly and the screen asks you if you want to shut down or stand by or restart ? Did you experience this same problem before ? Have you tried putting the Setup.exe in compatibility for Windwos XP ?
May 24, 2011 10:44:14 AM

Sorry for not being more specific.

It just shuts dow and says that windows did not shut down correctly and then asks if I want to start windows in it's arious modes. I experienced this problem 2 or 3 times.

How do you put the setup.exe compatable for windows 7?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2011 1:25:03 PM

To put in compatible mode, first locate the setup.exe in the disk, then right click and choose properties. Click on compatibility tab and check the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and choose windows XP. Also, check the 'Run this program as an administrator' just to be sure. Click on Apply and then OK.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2011 7:28:38 PM

you need to disable automatic restart on fatal error in windows. The error you are having is a typical BSoD (blue screen). Reproduce the bug, after you've disabled the automatic restart and see what message the blue screen is giving you.

It could be caused by driver failure, hardware failure and any other inconsistencies. To say the least, I doubt it's the actual installation program that is causing the problem, it's just stumbled upon an underlying larger problem.
a b $ Windows 7
May 25, 2011 4:16:33 AM

Is it a BSOD ? He should have mentioned a blue scree then. Instead, he says that his computer shows the various, restart, stand by.
May 25, 2011 9:15:05 AM

Never got a blue screen but it's working now.

Thank you both for all your help.
a b $ Windows 7
May 25, 2011 9:39:44 AM

How did you get it back to working again ?
a b $ Windows 7
May 25, 2011 12:27:48 PM

you will never see a bsod if your pc is set to restart on fatal error...
a c 215 $ Windows 7
May 25, 2011 12:32:49 PM

Gman450 said:
Is it a BSOD ? He should have mentioned a blue scree then. Instead, he says that his computer shows the various, restart, stand by.

I don't think he meant restart & standbay. I think he means the F8 menu that automatically pops up after a system crash, so his options would be:

use last known working
Safe mode
Command prompt with networking
... and so on.
May 25, 2011 8:57:13 PM

I don't really now why it works now. I did as you suggested Gman. It was already compatible with XP but I still set it as administrator anyway. It ran just fine. My computer is brand new so I can't see how it would be a driver or hardware problem... but looking back on it, it does make sense.

Guess the fourth time was the charm.

Thank you both again so much.
May 26, 2011 2:28:36 AM

Thanks for the info I just purchased Age of Conan from Half Price books and am getting ready to install it on a win 7 OS. More importently, how do like the game? Long live Robert E Howard and the Hyborian Age. Read the books if you haven' yet.
Thanks
Dave
June 2, 2011 12:51:35 AM

The game is actually quite good once you get use to the combat system. Howard would be proud. Love the books.

Yeah the people here are helpful.
June 12, 2011 6:54:38 PM

Best answer selected by ecraft.
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2012 12:54:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!