MS Team's Motto for Windows 95: 'It Sucks Less'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jplarson

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Putting it into some context, while Windows 95 is 15 years old, Windows XP will be turning 9 in October.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
actually if it wasn't some theifing bastard i'd still be running win 95. i wanted to do a dual boot with winxp and win 95 (for older games) but when i went to look up my old win 95 copy all i could find was the book , apoperntly some one that was living with us a few years ago made off with the disk. now if i could just get win7 i could at least do a dual boot with it and win xp. wouldnt get my old games working but oh well... wish i could get baldurs gate 1 and 2 running ok on this sytem but currently the BG games dont like winxp much throw a dualcore cpu on it and BG games just go bonkers.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
apon further review, these team motos were also noted...
Windows 98 - It's sucks even less
Windows ME - We're so very sorry
Windows XP - Tons less suck!
Windows Vista - Oops, our bad
Windows 7 - at least it's better than Vista

;)

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]actually if it wasn't some theifing bastard i'd still be running win 95. i wanted to do a dual boot with winxp and win 95 (for older games) but when i went to look up my old win 95 copy all i could find was the book , apoperntly some one that was living with us a few years ago made off with the disk. now if i could just get win7 i could at least do a dual boot with it and win xp. wouldnt get my old games working but oh well... wish i could get baldurs gate 1 and 2 running ok on this sytem but currently the BG games dont like winxp much throw a dualcore cpu on it and BG games just go bonkers.[/citation]
virtual machines work so much better for this. Trust me. I have virtuals for Win 3.1, Win95, Win98, and WinXP. They work great for older games. The Win98 virtual works better for Warcraft 2 than the WinXP does.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Despite current day's incredible advances in gaming...I miss playing old games like Star Wars - Tie Fighter, Hover, Rise of the Triad, WarCraft - Orcs and Humans.

...not that I would ever consider trading in my current system for one of the Win95 era...

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]If they could have foreseen the future, it would have been : "Windows 95 : At least it's not Vista!"[/citation]
You know, as much as people complain about Vista, I didn't have any issues with it. Ran Vista Ultimate x64 for two years (until August 2009). Is Windows 7 better? Hell yes, but Vista wasn't bad. People just don't like learning curves, but it was that learning curve (in addition to bug fixes and feature enhancements) that made Windows 7 a success. If it went straight from XP to 7, I don't think there would have been as much praise for 7 as there was.

On the other hand, Windows ME was awful, freaking awful. I got that pre-installed (I can only imagine how much worse it was to "step it up" from Windows 98) and it was so broken everywhere. I would have to reboot a minimum of three times a day (at least with Vista I could leave it running for weeks without having to reboot).

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Now, you see, that's what I like about the Windows developers and even Microsoft management... they don't take themselves too seriously.

Contrast that with Apple, and his Holiness, Steve Jobs. This guy really does believe he is god's gift to the tech industry.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I'd always get pissed off when I'd be concentrating really hard on something like a school paper and have my speakers turned up too high. Then I would get a Windows error and that damn loud donk noise would play. Scared the crap out of me.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
To me it wasn't the learning curve that kept me away from vista, it was the 20 or so lock/ blue screen of deaths when trying to install it that messed it up for me.

I still got a rig with windows 95 on a Quantum Fireball from the era. I love how Win 95 uses so little ram and doesn't clog up the drive with useless restore point unlike xp and vista. Also it doesn't lag like hell even on the crappiest cpu. Now we're stuck running with ever increasing bloated os. Even Linux now days is bloated.

[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]I still have Win95 on a virtual machine so I can run some old video games from that era. It's still just as stable as it always was.[/citation]

I think I saw someone trying to install Windows 95 on newer hardware. It didn't work out so well due to no driver support and since most hardware doesn't rely on IRQs like they used to.

animehair

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I still got a rig with windows 95 on a Quantum Fireball from the era. I love how Win 95 uses so little ram and doesn't clog up the drive with useless restore point unlike xp and vista. Also it doesn't lag like hell even on the crappiest cpu. Now we're stuck running with ever increasing bloated os. Even Linux now days is bloated.[/citation]
being an IT professional i hardly think restore points are useless...also Win 7 is not bloated...it was actually designed to be extremely energy efficient, and it makes itself lean by disabling devices not in use. Its successful at this.

AND distributions aside...LINUX is by far not bloated...maybe the mainstream versions are more memory intensive (ie. Suse)...but Linux is extremely lean...(GENTOO ROCKS!)....sorry but there was just so much wrong with your statement.

battlecarrysabot

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]I still have Win95 on a virtual machine so I can run some old video games from that era. It's still just as stable as it always was.[/citation]

there is a Windows 95 or 98 compatibility mode in xp, or maybe just get an emulator

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
"ushered in a new generation for Microsoft as its GUI moved in to bump out MS-DOS and all of its competitors."

Um, what? Microsoft was dead last to the GUI game. Apple had it before MS. UNIX had it before MS. Heck, even OpenVMS had it before MS did. Seems MS comes in dead last for a lot of things these days. Web Browsers, Cell Phones, Tablets, etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.