building a new system on MSI K7T266 MS-6380

niko

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
MSI K7T266 MS-6380 w/ ATI RADEON 64DDR don't seem to work ok on Windows 2000... I install the drivers for the mobo, than the sound (Creative Ensonique) and disabled form bios the one on the mobo (or even tryed using that one w/o the extra soundcard), than the ATI drivers... reboot, everything work fine until I power down the system for a couple of minutes... after that, Windows does not restart, giving errors w/ registry files, hive file, etc. it does not recover either... I have tryed this already several times, reformatting over and over again, it still does the same... IT WORKS fine under Win98SE but not w/ Windows 2000 Pro. really could use some help :) thnx!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Have you tried (during one of your reinstalls) getting the system working stably with bare minimum for a while? i.e. no sound card and no chipset drivers? Then add in chipset drivers, check stability etc. etc. This way you can narrow down what the bad apple is?

Just a thought...

niko

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
did that... it seems to die after installing the videocard... but the card is ok because I tested it on a different computer... so, I assume it's got to do with the AGP connection... I tryed the system with my old card (3dfxv3 PCI) and it also works ...
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by niko on 05/03/01 10:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
>did that... it seems to die after installing the videocard...

Meaning that it will give you registry errors without even installing the sound card? Have you installed ANY additional drivers after your W2K install? I'm assuming that when you say "installing the videocard" you mean the videocard drivers? Have you installed chipset drivers yet at this point? Or to rephrase, whats the bare bones minimum config that will give you the errors?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
>min. config w/ errors is: mobo drivers AND videocard drivers...

I know I'm picking nits here, but...

You can install W2K, and mobo drivers (but not vid drivers) and the system is rock solid?

and...

You can install W2K, vid drivers but not mobo drivers, and system is also rock solid?

- Let me know if I'm a pain in the A$$ ;-)

niko

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
>> You can install W2K, and mobo drivers (but not vid drivers) and the system is rock solid? YES
>> You can install W2K, vid drivers but not mobo drivers, and system is also rock solid? -- have not tryed this yet... maybe I should try it when I get home :) it's not a known problem though, eh? like the one w/ the Apollo 133 chip (if I'm not mistaken - the AGP bus not detected in win2000 thing)? something already spotted and having some fixes...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
>:) it's not a known problem though, eh?

Well, there was some discussion on usenet of BIOS revs, R126 resistor, etc. Not sure if its got anything to do with your situation...

Can't say as I have any experience with that particular board. I was just trying to be a little more methodical about the testing.

Here's a google link:

<A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=b482b250ed2dce7b,12&seekm=rnÖ.106$MV6.33013@nnrp3.sbc.net#p" target="_new">http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=b482b250ed2dce7b,12&seekm=rnÖ.106$MV6.33013@nnrp3.sbc.net#p</A>