A7V bios resetting

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Can anyone tell me how to reset the bios for the Asus A7V motherboard? I looked in the manual and on the website, and couldn't find the jumper anywhere, if it exists at all. I'd rather do that than replace it, I messed it up enough that I can't even boot anymore. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

G

The only way to reset bios is to flash it. Are you talking about resetting the cmos in the bios? If it is your bios thats the problem boot up using a win98 boot disk. when it comes up how you want to start your computer ie with or without cdrom support hit shift+F5 together to get an A prompt. On your boot disk have the aflash utility and the 1007 bios on the disk. you will probably have to delete a couple of files off the boot disk like readme and fdisk to have the room on the disk for the flash utility and bios. now copy the files to c drive (not under any subdirectories). get your C prompt and type aflash then select the flash option #2 and type in bios file name. Hopefully this will take care of your problem. If you can't access your hard drive try flashing the bios directly from your disk.

Good luck

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Heads up.. Do not do what the above post recommends. That procedure is just plain wrong and could make things much worse than they are now. You should NEVER run aflash or any other bios upgrade from your hard disk, and you should NEVER get to the process by ANY other method beyond a specifically created BIOS BOOT DISK. This disk must NOT contain an autoexec.bat or config.sys file, but rather ONLY the system files.

As for clearing your BIOS, there are two solder contacts next to your battery label "CLRCT". WITH THE POWER OFF AND THE POWER CORD REMOVED, you can touch these contacts together using a regular screwdrive. By bridging the contacts together for about 3 to 5 seconds (NO MORE THAN THAT) you will clear your settings. To see exactly where they are, look on page 14 of your owners manual and find the battery, from there you can't miss them.

This will clear the CMOS settings and should get you through the POST.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Stable, you are my hero.. I thought I knew a thing or two about computers, but I think I'll have to reconsider that..

It worked perfectly... THANK YOU!!!