Abit KT7A banned from AMD !

G

For some time ago, AMD said that they no longer recommended Abit KT7A and KT7A-RAID for their processors.
Siince then I have heard dozens of rumors about the actual reason. I have searched AMDs site for some clues or even some answers, all my efforts have been worthless. So now I hope you know what happened.

The two most occuring reasons are:

1. AMD thougt it was too easy to overclock their prcessors...
2. It was performance related. Stability and so on...

Does anyone out there know? Some speculations are that the actual reason is no1 and the official reason is no2

G

Reason No.1 doesn't make sense to me. Why would they be against overclocking? The faster their processors run, the better for their image.

Leo

G

Yes, but the faster their processors run by overclocking, the fewer they sell... It isn't the guys buying 1.33ghz axia's trying to hit 2ghz they are trying to stop. It's the guys buying cpu's marked as 1ghz that are actually underclocked 1.2ghz chips that they sell cheaper to run at a slower speed, who unlock them and overclock them whilst saving a few bucks in the process.

The boards were pulled due to the multiplier, not for stability reasons. Abit makes fine boards which cater to the overclocker. Personally, I prefer Asus, who kissed amd's ass and removed the dips from my board.

"I've been called worse by better people. You can do better..."

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
If AMD thought it was too easy too overclock their processors - why do they ship the new axia unlocked?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
For some time ago, AMD said that they no longer recommended Abit KT7A and KT7A-RAID for their processors.
To my understanding, the reason is that KT7s and successors have a problem performing a softboot if clocked at or beyond 1000 mhz. Shutdown works normally on these same systems but if you try to reboot the systems hang.

I don't know if this problem was resolved with later BIOSes.

I will update this post if I can find the link where I read this information.