Sign in with
Your question

External IP address changing

Last response: in Video Games
May 25, 2011 10:49:37 PM

Hello,
I recently bought the game Rift, and for the first few days I had no problems playing it. Now I keep getting booted off,and a message saying that the Extrernal IP address has changed. I can log back in but that only buys me a bit of time before it happens again. I am using a linksys wireless router, ATT is my internet provider. I assume that it has something to do with my router, as it kicks all of the households computer off when it happens. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
Thanks.
May 26, 2011 9:20:39 AM

Interesting problem... I assume you don't get a fixed IP from your ISP? It's perfectly normal for you IP to change when you disconnect and reconnect, i.e. when you terminate the session, but this should not happen while you are connected. Perhaps do the following: Check what your external IP is before you start playing, then if you get booted, check to see if it has indeed changed. If so, you need to take it up with AT&T.
May 26, 2011 2:46:27 PM

+1. If it's your external IP, that's out of your control. Your ISP is responsible for that.
!