Sign in with
Your question

High resolution gaming and anti-aliasing

Last response: in Video Games
May 26, 2011 8:32:42 AM

I have a 1920x1080 monitor and a powerful enough rig to playably run any of my games on that resolution, even Crysis. I heard that AA (anti-aliasing) isn't necessary at high resolutions. And that adding AA at high-res is completely unnoticeable, and it only murders your framerate.

The only function of AA is to make jagged edges appear smoother. I believe high resolutions has this same effect, eliminating the need for AA. Although high-res AA might have some effect if you look very close. But otherwise it is mostly unnoticeable.

Anisotropic filtering (AF) as a different story.

Low resolution + AA or high resolution - AA.
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2011 12:23:51 PM

aa is noticeable on any screen of 1920/1080p thats 22 inches or above on small hd screens the pixels are smaller so its less noticeable. especially if your sitting more than 3 feet away.

as it stands i have a 24 inch 1080p monitor and yes i use fsaa or msaa on every game because i can still see the jaggies. as im only 18-24 inches away from my lcd. as for it hammering the fps... it shouldnt really at that rez but it does depend on the game. crysis for instance it will hammer it, but dirt 3 it wont. because there is less going on on screen. with crysis every tree branch has to be filtered. while dirt 3 has big blocks of similar colours so less need for AA.
so go by your games. if you can get 60fps and have it on then do so. if your struggling to keep 30 then turn it off.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2011 3:24:15 PM

@OP:
umm not quite. high resolution results in jagged edges being harder to notice, but they are still there.

another thing to consider here is the actual output resolution to screen resolution size. as if you run 800x600 res on a 1920x1080 monitor with full scaling, so it fits the 800x600 into the huge resolution, yes absolutely you will see those jagged edges. A LOT.
If you run the game in 800x600 on a 1920x1080 monitor but with zero scaling so the image is a fraction of the screen, you won't see the edges as much, because you won't be able to see much at all (so technically you eyeball will be doing the anti-aliasing)

but if you set the resolution to 1920x1080 and your monitor native is 1920x1080, AA will add a significant improvement to how the graphics look.

but long story short, you got the basics right, aa will help more on lower res than higher res given that your monitor is high rez (the latter is kind of obvious but some people fail to recognize it). However, it is also beneficial at high rez, but if your GPU is struggling with AA, it's ok to turn in off.

the image quality comes down to your own preference, I personally don't give a * about AA, but some people want to max all the settings out. It is what YOU want to see on the screen that you find appealing, not a number cruncher guy who works for GPU manufacturer...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2011 9:23:58 AM

I am currently testing a beta called "black prophecy" in a 24 inch monitor. Im running it on 1900x1200 and 8xAA (Max AA allowed) becouse the diffrence is like seeing space stations look like "minecraft" to a movie of epic proportions.

Now, i really get to see the diffrence in here, but not everyone does, at least not at a first glance.
For me crysis warhead has no effect change from 1900x1200 2xAA to 4xAA, but i think its becouse of how many effects are running at the same time.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2011 11:07:34 AM

In Just Cause 2 it's very noticeable on my 24" 1080.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2011 1:22:59 PM

yes, as pointed out in the article on AA that was linked above:
"AA is more noticeable when pixels are bigger"

so, if you running same rez that you can run on a 14" screen on a 24" screen, obviously pixels will be bigger and you'd be able to notice the AA easier.
m
l
!