Best Board for AMD 1.2 Tbird 266

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
The answer to your question depends on what you wish to wish to do with your system, and is a matter of opinion anyway.

For what its worth, my opinion is based on :

1) A board that uses DDR memory as it has the fastest performance for the AMD platform, and isn't too expensive.
Also my guess is DDR will gradually replace ordinary SDRAM, initially on high performance systems, then eventually on the rest.

2) I favour systems using AMD 760 chipset which supports DDR memory.

3) As I am not aware of any motherboards that use the AMD 761 Northbridge and 766 Southbridge then I believe the next best thing to be AMD 761 Northbridge with VIA 686B Southbridge

The best performing combination of the above from reviews I have read is the Asus A7M266.

I purchased this motherboard in early Feb 2001 and have not had any problems to date. I am using it with a 1.2 Athlon C .

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well if it must be DDR definately go with an AMD chipset. I beleive I read Asus is discontinueing there line with AMD chipsets due to AMD stopping production. They ussually only do a started chipset until the other companies start supplying.

I recomend the 133A chipsets (266 FSB w/ SDRAM). No big boost from DDR with current processors, boards or apps. Plus you can use your old SDRAM and it's so cheap to buy now.

<b><A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">How fast is your PC</A></b>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
PaulClamond said:

------------------------------------------------------------------
The best performing combination of the above from reviews I have read is the Asus A7M266.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

That is from the reviews he has read, he obviously hasn't read all the reviews otherwise he would have not recommended that board.

After reading ALL the reviews you will find the MSI K7 Master to be the best performing motherboard for you specifications.

266 FSB, DDR RAM up to 2 GB (when 1GB DIMMs are available). Stable and best performer.

Beer is the devil's piss.

icyura10

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Ahem... Hatimh,

Ok.. you've made a statement of fact. Now.. can you site your references that can support your statement. I haven't seen the same results.

Perhaps you'd share so the rest of us ignorant slobs have an opportunity to benefit from you all knowing wisdom.

<font color=red>It's ewe n' me against the world, n' I think ewe are gonna get creamed</font color=red> :eek:

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
OK I don't really need to give you every reference, but most people in the community will be able to tell you this.

One reference is Tom's hardware "How to" section "Power box".

K7 Master S was used, but the K7 Master is exactly the same except it has no SCSI port and two less DIMM slots. In Tom's tests if I remember correctly I don't think he even used a SCSI drive, and he himself said it was the best performing motherboard. performance of both boards are the same. If you don't intend to use SCSI.

I'm not all knowing, I just know the above...and a few other things.

Beer is the devil's piss.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hatimh on 05/05/01 06:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Latest posts