Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Rage, Doom 4 May Not Support Stereoscopic 3D

Last response: in News comments
August 25, 2010 7:51:08 PM

Not a big issue. 3D is still a gimmick, most gamers don't have and don't have any drive to go buy a 3d setup.
August 25, 2010 7:58:47 PM

3D is cool, but extra 200 bucks for glasses (Nvidia Vision) is what i cant afford
Related resources
August 25, 2010 8:00:58 PM

Quote:
Rage, Doom 4 May Not Support Stereoscopic 3D

Oh no, I'm absolutely crushed I tell you, crushed!

Quote:
Hollenshead said that the "uber end of the videophiles" will adopt 3D without hesitation, but that won't be enough for the whole industry to make a shift.

True enough, they also adopted Laserdisc, and we all know where that ended up.

I went to Best Buy the other day just because I wanted to see what one of the 3D TVs was like. It made my head hurt, but that could have been because the glasses were welded to a giant steel frame that kept them right in the sweet spot, and I had to bend over at a slight, yet uncomfortable angle to see through them. Of course, I'm sure the experience will be MUCH better once I get that $2500 TV and $500 BluRay player into my apartment (plus an extra, what, $70-$100 per pair of glasses?).

As long as no one makes it mandatory, I'll be happy, cause I won't have to care.
August 25, 2010 8:11:01 PM

3D is cool but, I really want an OLED monitor. That will be my next monitor upgrade, if they ever hit the market.
August 25, 2010 8:12:19 PM

My Honest Answer: "I don't care."

Nuff said. :) 
August 25, 2010 8:12:57 PM

Could care less, Carmack is genius and if it does not support it there is a reason.
August 25, 2010 8:12:58 PM

Quote:
"And, also, the TVs are f***ing expensive. Is there enough content to justify?"

... Wait, don't you realize what you're doing yourself? You're saying it's not worth it to buy a TV because there's not enough content for it, thus you yourself are not going to make content.

This is exactly the spiraling hole that traps so many new technologies and sucks them down the drain.
August 25, 2010 8:27:49 PM

Kelavarus... Wait, don't you realize what you're doing yourself? You're saying it's not worth it to buy a TV because there's not enough content for it, thus you yourself are not going to make content.This is exactly the spiraling hole that traps so many new technologies and sucks them down the drain.

They are not worth it and neither is the tech. If a 3d capable TV was similar in price to others than it would be considered.
August 25, 2010 8:37:28 PM

When I can play Doom9 on a holodeck, then I'll worry about 3D. Till then, meh.
August 25, 2010 8:40:11 PM

Good! id obviously knows what should be a priority in making good games. i.e. NOT 3D! I'm glad they aren't following the gimmick crowd.
August 25, 2010 8:43:50 PM

StryterGood! id obviously knows what should be a priority in making good games. i.e. NOT 3D! I'm glad they aren't following the gimmick crowd.

God is answering my prayers......"Please God let 3D go the way of the dinosaurs, disco, and leg warmers..."
August 25, 2010 8:56:03 PM

It will not be a problem until "real" 3d tv becomes mainstream: ie: 3d tv that does 3d and does not required glasses.
August 25, 2010 9:03:42 PM

still waiting for those no glasses tvs they show every year
August 25, 2010 9:06:11 PM

I have the fast cards and 3D glasses and stuff and the whole thing is pretty cool but it is all still pretty clunky in my opinion (the glasses) and the requirements are still way to high and expensive for most. Eventually it will be common as prices for both fast cheap cards capable sustaining high FPS on 120Hz monitors and cheap 120Hz monitors.
August 25, 2010 9:28:35 PM

Good, sick of all the 3D hype. Since "3D" first appeared in the fifties every 15 years they've been trying to push it on us. Or give it to Steve Jobs, he has a talent for turning crappy concepts into viable products.
August 25, 2010 9:33:10 PM

3D is not the next thing... it is a gimmick, a fad, the hula hoop, pogs, the wii(any motion controller) i don't want things flying at my face in 3D and i don't want to move around when playing games. if i wanted that i'd go bowling or actually play golf(two hobbies i actually do).
August 25, 2010 10:03:49 PM

XZaaprycaWhen I can play Doom9 on a holodeck, then I'll worry about 3D. Till then, meh.

That would be a terrifying game but totally and completely AWESOME!
August 25, 2010 10:28:37 PM

I'm glad to hear this. 3d is a gimmick and a complete waste of time.
August 25, 2010 10:59:47 PM

jerreeceMy Honest Answer: "I don't care."Nuff said.

+9999
August 25, 2010 11:29:24 PM

i think they should take the time and money needed to make the game 3d, and put it towards making a better pc version =D
August 25, 2010 11:35:11 PM

I can't care less!
August 26, 2010 12:06:47 AM

I'd hazard a guess that everyone saying 3d is a gimmick has yet to see a 3d vision ready game. The 'gimmick' is expecting things to come out of the screen at you. The real draw is the feeling of depth and definition you see.

The supported games list is still on the short side. And id's remarks don't make that any better. But 3d and gaming are a mix made in heaven. Way better than any 3d movie I've seen.
August 26, 2010 12:20:30 AM

XZaaprycaWhen I can play Doom9 on a holodeck, then I'll worry about 3D. Till then, meh.

You'll be doing more than playing DOOM9 on a holo deck... ;)  Man, her breasteses are huge..!!! Playing Laura Croft will be very different. :) 

Serious thou, I doubt we'll ever get a HOLODECK like in StarTrek - remember that is supposed to be a modified transporter, so it allows you to FEEL, swim, taste things, climb up mountains, etc. It will be EASIER to do VR transmissions directly into your skull. As we already have some abilities to do this, like sending an external image to a blind person.

So, while laying down, you can play a game or be IN the movie... that is far more realistic of our future. But do we REALLY REALLY want Microsoft or Apple in our Brains?
August 26, 2010 12:30:56 AM

3D is finally NOT a gimmick. The OLD days of RED and BLUE cardboard glasses are gone, those ALWAYS sucked... and they still suck.

But not all movies or videos NEEDS to be in 3D. It costs a lot more money to produce and it has to be done right.

RIGHT) Avatar - puts you into the movie
WRONG) Jaws-3D or most 3D movies, in which SHOTS are set up to specifically give you a 3D effect. An example: Planet 51 (a good kids flick) the opening of a guy with a ball toy bouncing at your face.

3D Tech is new and movies production people are learning how to work with it. Like when COLOR was new to film, Hollywood went WAY overboard with Technicolor - either designed to make you gay or burn your eyes out, they were horrible.
August 26, 2010 1:58:37 AM

When this isht is holograms then I'll buy. Actually, when I can get on the holodeck, I'll buy. The 4 coolest technologies of the future, warp drive, holodeck, transporter, and replicator. Warp drive being the one that's most fascinating.
August 26, 2010 2:56:42 AM

3D is still new to everyone.
August 26, 2010 3:30:09 AM

Of course it will work in 3D, what doesn't these days??? Unless you're a console tard that is (or stuck with Ati hardware).
August 26, 2010 3:30:25 AM

I think the smartest move will be to see how Crysis 2 fares considering ppl are already readying their systems)PC0 to be able to cope with DX11 and 3d now with a year's headstart unlike the original crysis where very few could utilize the mid to max graphics with their systems in 2008.

Im sure there will be another game to challenge Crysis as another 3d benchmark and this will detirmine if pc users will adopt 3d, same for consoles. Im sure there will be a slew of games that will try out 3d, from there then we can detirmine if it will be worth it for the average consumer.
August 26, 2010 4:53:52 AM

The dual projector setup will be cheaper than the 46" 3D ready and , we won't have to worry about official 3D support as it doesn't have to use alternate frame sequencing like most of the 3D TV.This means, we can buy the glasses for less than $1 each
August 26, 2010 4:56:35 AM

Toms"Recently Crytek revealed that--starting with Crysis 2--all Crysis sequels will be developed with 3D in mind."

Its the way its meant to be played title so, naturally, this would have to be done.
August 26, 2010 4:57:27 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAGH, I will blow up id Software
August 26, 2010 4:59:11 AM

The title made me think that it was going to support some other kind of 3D support other than stereoscopic 3D. It's good to know our front eyes aren't obsolete yet.
August 26, 2010 5:27:41 AM

Virtual Reality goggles were a great idea.Too bad that their resolution is still inadequate though plus VR Goggles are still too costly.
August 26, 2010 6:16:00 AM

Could care less about 3D for gaming or for movies.
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 7:36:54 AM

this isn't new. opengl not supported, that's all
August 26, 2010 8:01:14 AM

fyasko3D is not the next thing... it is a gimmick, a fad, the hula hoop, pogs, the wii(any motion controller) i don't want things flying at my face in 3D and i don't want to move around when playing games. if i wanted that i'd go bowling or actually play golf(two hobbies i actually do).

Well said, having seen a modern hologram I wasn't impressed with avatar at all and found the glasses annoying, I'm not going to pay extra for a fake 3d tv when its not true 3d its an optical illusion.

Besides tests have shown that watching a lot of these "3d" films/games via the glasses may actually cause you to need real glasses earlier due to the extra stress the eposure to all the optical illusions puts on the eyes
August 26, 2010 10:42:30 AM

Youssef, the single nVidia 3D vision projector was cheaper --- see the Toms Hardware review ;) 

Also - whatever happened to smell-a-vision? Doom 4 + Smellavision = my house smelling like an old people's home.

Also - Philips just shut down their production (since like 1998) of the glasses-free TV. You know, the cool one.

So, be extension, you'll all be happy to know that, until at least 2096, nobody will watch anything in 3D, and instead we'll grow old knowing that, in 2010, we were all right and just in moaning about 3D. 2D Rules. It's a shame the whole world isn't 2D.
August 26, 2010 11:59:56 AM

Way to go ID. Too bad for nvidia and their crapvision.
August 26, 2010 1:11:19 PM

i would love 3d but glasses must be more comfortable it would make call of duty more fun which i didnt expect
August 26, 2010 3:05:42 PM

I agree with id software. I'm not planning on buying a 3D monitor any time soon. I'm not made of money. I just bought a 37" HDTV to use as a monitor and these peeps are crazy if they think I will actually sink a couple billion into a new monitor just for 3D.
August 26, 2010 3:34:34 PM

To carry this analogy further...
I can see it now. A holodeck MORTALITY FAILSAFE becomes infected with a computer virus that Norton or Intel/McAfee did not catch, and fails to work. Results in death of someone mauled by a game creation.
Leads to first computer virus involved in killing someone, and legislation by FED to ban video games.
August 26, 2010 4:09:13 PM

3d is overrated and gimmicky.

I do not regret selling my nvidia 3d vision glasses at all. I used the money towards a 7.1 sound system which has more impact on me than the 3d vision ever did.
August 26, 2010 9:35:27 PM

xsamittCould care less about 3D for gaming or for movies.

I would if it was actualy 3d, it looked good, and didnt have stupid brain mealting glass's.. then yes i would.
August 26, 2010 9:51:52 PM

I have no interest in 3D until those glasses are no longer required or the expense is brought way down. Yeah I got to buy extra controllers for my PS3 and 360 but $50 bucks is a lot easier to swallow than $200. 3D is all hype right now. Its cool to look at but not practical.
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 11:11:40 PM

You can tell most of the n00bs here haven't actually used 3d vision.

id saying they are not going to support it just means the interface etc won't be in 3d. You will still be able to run the game in 3d.

Some of the best looking 3d games that I have played have 0 support for 3d (torchlight).

3D is sick. I love all the povos writing it off because they can't afford it. Here's a hint, get a better job ROFL!
August 26, 2010 11:13:03 PM

3D,, with glasses (shutter) is allright. i just want it tobe cheap. cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap, all the way.
August 27, 2010 1:56:31 AM

i'll pass on buying their games then, simple as that.
August 27, 2010 10:17:57 PM

Care?

/no
August 28, 2010 5:46:25 AM

illicitYou can tell most of the n00bs here haven't actually used 3d vision.id saying they are not going to support it just means the interface etc won't be in 3d. You will still be able to run the game in 3d.Some of the best looking 3d games that I have played have 0 support for 3d (torchlight).3D is sick. I love all the povos writing it off because they can't afford it. Here's a hint, get a better job ROFL!

no it just sux. saying people dont like it cuz they cant afford it is a stupid argument.. maybe they dont like it becuase it sux not that i buy thier games anyways.
!