Battlefield badcompany 2 similar comp, but one is choppy (stats provid

darkmwar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Smooth Computer:
2cmxg7q.png

Laggy Computer:
2nuk4zb.png

The smooth computer, game runs at avg 70 fps, highest at 99 fps everything set to low, but on laggy computer, the game runs at 20-40 fps, significant LAG! how can i fix this?! the GT440 was a recent purchase as well, all drivers are up-to-date, no back ground programs are running. Both windows 7 home premium 64-bit

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
BF bad company 2 is very cpu intensive and the one with the better video card has a lower cpu than the other. Says it's only a 2.2ghz which is just above minimum specs. More than likely that could be the issue especially if you have a live virus protection running.

Another thing to concider is that steam has been having some issues lately not being able to obtain the most current patch but I belive it only applies to the online version of the game.

darkmwar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008

Thank you for the reply, but the minium cpu is Duo Core 2.0ghz, the laggy computer has a QUAD core 2.2ghz. The cpu passes the recommend spec. the only thing that it doesnt pass for the Recommend specs is the the Video Card. But on the smooth computer, it also doesn;t pass, however, it has no lag on it.

Bad Company 2 needs a fast quad for optimum performance, regardless of what the recommended system requirements say. The Athlon II has a much faster clock, and maybe even a faster architecture than the original Phenom, hence why you get poorer performance on the older Phenom despite it being a quad.

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Most games are coded for optimization for dual core so having a quad core doesn't really mean it will help you in those cases, only exception is for the ones that take advantage of more than 2 cores such as those that offer multi-threaded such as GTA IV or others that use large amounts of AI scripts.

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
nah I ment the coding architecture is optimized for a minimum of dual core however the remaining cores will not be utilized unless the first 2 cores are capping out. Only currenlty a handful of games actually require a triple or quad core as a minimum now, but you will more than likely see more designed to work better for processors using 4 or more cores such as the new sandy or the upcomming ivy bridge sytems. Either way recommended for that game is at least 3.0ghz per each core to get the most out of it.
A standard dual core ,however, can actually work just as well as a triple or quad core in most all direct x9 games since they were originally made for single and dual channel. But, they will show issues if using a direct x11 launcher.

first off bc2 does need a minimum of 3 cores, 2 cores just doesnt cut it when you go above a 98gt gfx wise. anything more powerful will end up only useing 50 percent of the gpu power. i know this as 3 of my gaming m8's all had dual cores with various gfx cards and the only 1 that could play smoothly was the guy with a amd 6000+ x2 and a 98gt which is a surprisingly robust setup and very well balanced for what it is.
1 of the others had a e6600 and a 4850 but his fps was bouncing from 14-50 even after oc'ing it to 3.0. checking gpu usage it was never above 50 percent.
the last 1 had an amd 6000+ x2 but has a gtx 275 same thing but worse fps drops 2-60 with an average of 21 which was unplayable.

also 2.2 is a little slow. 2.4 would work better as the minimum spec 2.0 refers to an intel cpu at 2.0 which means 2.4 for an amd. i know its not a huge bump but it does seem to be the sweet spot as far as getting this game to run smoothly. this should give you enough bandwidth to open up the gfx and let it spread itself properly (if you get my meaning) running the 440 in dx10 or 9 will offer better performance than in dx11 and make sure you have multisampling turned off in you nvidia pannel as well as in the game. also hsao disabled.
you may also want to check and see if your gfx is running @x16 and not @x1 on the pci-e in bios, if its a pc-e 1.0a socket.

BF2BC loves quad cores, utilises all 4 allof the time, gives them a reall nice workout.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
on the laggy computer whatever steam game is running is RAPPING the cpu. i am recording and running crysis right now and my usage is at about 5%. cpu is holding you back. that phenom needs to be overclocked cause games seem to like higher clocks before cores.