novice needs hellp

G

I have read that the P5A is compatable with the AMD K6-2+ cpu. I have bought a 450mhz+ chip and have a new P5A board that is a 1.06 rev. I have adjusted all the jumpers to what I believe are the right settings but cannot get the computer past this error message when I try to boot up "Hardware monitor found and error, enter POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP for details". Note that the Bios is Rev. 1007.A.
I see an (Err) message beside the VCORE Voltage which is vacilating between 2.0and 2.1. Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to fix it.

The easiest solution is to set this to ignore and computer will boot. I don't know what the correct core voltage of the processor is???? But if 2.0 or 2.1 is within 10 to 15% of the correct voltage you should not have a problem. Although you should have a good heatsink/fan as a higher voltage will make it run a little hotter than normal.And as allways keep an eye on the temperature .

I aint signing nothing!!!

G

For the errors to disappear, you will have to upgrade your BIOS to the latest beta bios: 1011.004
(you can find it on the ftp site of Asus in germany).

unfortunately, the k6-x+ series is not really compatible with the P5A revision 1.05 and 1.06...you would be very lucky to get the thing working properly.

For more information on k6-x processors and k6-x+ especially, go to the AMD forum: www.amdzone.com and look in the k6-x forum....there are a lot of people with a rig like yours over there, myself included!!!

Fortunately, I have got mobo revision 1.03...works great with my k63+450(@550)

BHard

G

Thank you for that URL. I have played around on that site and will dig a little deeper. I also have an ASUS P5A rev 1.03 that I will try to get working with the K6-2 + chip that I have bought. Your reply has really saved me a lot of time trying to figure out if I would ever get the that combination to work.