"2 channel" DDR SDRAM?

G

Just a thought, dunno if the discussion's been up before.

Anyway, why is'nt there (or is there?) a DDR chipset yet, that use a wider memory bus? ONE of the reasons the P4 have such a great memory performance is that the I850 chipset use dual channel and so requires two memory modules to be installed. I saw that Tyan (I think) have made a chipset like this for SDRAM, which really boosted the memory performance, so I don't see why it couldn't be done with the DDR SDRAM also?

Well, well. It was just a thought..

Live long and prosper! \/
- Stefan Haglund

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
nivida is comeing out with a laptop mother board that use dual chanel and get 4.2 gigabytes per second but it is going to show up with the palominos in laptops first

G

Yeah Nvidia Crush for Palomino Laptop's will have Dual Channel DDR, and I have heard that VIA may make a Server version of their Northwood P4 DDR Chipset (Called P4X266) that would have Dual Channel DDR. I am not sure what Dual Channel DDR would do for Palomino/Thunderbird but with the P4 it could be a Rambus Killer because it would provide more bandwidth than current RDRAM on 850 and with lower latency. The issue with Dual Channel DDR, is that it costs a lot of money to implement. Why isn't the same thing being said about 850 and Dual RDRAM? because with RDRAM they have to make 2 16-bit wide buses, with DDR/SDRAM they would have to make 2 64-bit wide buses thus increasing manufacturing costs significatly, so we will have to see. Oh and I don't think it's Tyan you're thinking of I think you're thinking of Serverworks' Server Chipset for Pentium III's that has Dual Channel SDRAM.

starbucksaddict

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001
Serverworks' Grand Champion HE Chipset has 4-way interleaved PC1600 (for a total of 6.4 GB/S)
5 GB/S I/O throughput
6 independent PCI-X segments (64bit/100Mhz)
2/4-way XEON

Flame not, lest ye be flamed.