graphics'n'stuff

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Got some cash together and upgraded my old Celeron 1.2MHz, 256 SDRAM,
GeForce4 MX to an Atlon XP 2200+, 512 DDRAM PC3200, GeForce FX 5600,
all plugged into a brand new nForce2 400 motherboard.

WinXP Pro was smarter than I expected and reconfigured itself nicely,
even though I backed up everything and was ready to format and
reinstall.

All giddy and happy, I started Morrowind and looked around, waiting to
be dazzled. No dazzling :(
Except for the fps bump (from 20-30 to 50-60, I thought this would be
bigger) nothing changed.

Do I need to turn some things on? I did slide all video options to the
max, but that didn't change the overall look of the game.
Where? Morrowind.ini? The video card's options? something else?

Should I reinstall Morrowind so it can detect my new hardware and set
itself up? Should I reinstall Windows for the same reason? (I know
this would be a good idea anyway, but I wanted to see what my new toy
can do.)

Thanks for any help.

Silveraxe.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

avidroleplayer@yahoo.com (Silveraxe) wrote in

> Do I need to turn some things on?

Use the Morrowind Launcher instead of the game itself, choose 'Options' and
turn pixel shading on.

They didn't go too overboard on the use of shaders, but the water is sure a
lot prettier.

Even better - pick up one of the bundles of "Rhedd's Heads" (a plugin) and
now you will have Goth fashion models instead of half-dried mummies to look
at in the game.

"Silveraxe" <avidroleplayer@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Do I need to turn some things on? I did slide all video options to the
> max, but that didn't change the overall look of the game.
> Where? Morrowind.ini? The video card's options? something else?
>
> Should I reinstall Morrowind so it can detect my new hardware and set
> itself up? Should I reinstall Windows for the same reason? (I know
> this would be a good idea anyway, but I wanted to see what my new toy
> can do.)
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Silveraxe.

As Eric mentions in his reply - you need to enable pixel shading for the
water... other than that you won't see much difference other than the game
running smoother.... If you'd bought one of the higher end radeon cards from
ATI then you could also have enabled npatches using the morrowind fps
optimiser (www.morrowind.nm.ru) which also improves the look of things
(smooths curved surfaces etc and makes things look a bit more 'organic')

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

> They didn't go too overboard on the use of shaders, but the water is sure
> lot prettier.

Well as the water is the only use of shaders in the entire game, you might
actually say that in a way they did just that! :p

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Umm, pixel shaders don't work with MX series Nvidia cards.

"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in

> Umm, pixel shaders don't work with MX series Nvidia cards.

But will work fine with the FX he upgraded to.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Does pixel shading do anything besides change the look of the water?

"Kalheka" <kalheka@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does pixel shading do anything besides change the look of the water?
>

> "Eric Gill" <ericvgill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in
> >

> > > Umm, pixel shaders don't work with MX series Nvidia cards.
> >
> > But will work fine with the FX he upgraded to.

Not in Morrowind as far as I know.

-Scott Roper