I know what I want.... except the mobo

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Okay, here it is. The computer I plan to build over the summer... given that nothing extremely spectacular shows up in the next two months. I know what I want except for the motherboard.

-AMD 1.2GHz Thunderbird "C", Boxed
-Sound Blaster Live! Platinum
-Nvidia GeForce3 (brand unsure, suggestions welcome)
-IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB
-Old ViewSonic PS17 monitor
-Misc. items to interact with computer

Now, with all this in mind, I would like to know if there is a certain motherborad that I should get. I hear about AMD/VIA problems all the time, but many of them seem to be fixable. I'm not adverse to a little tweaking and fooling around to get things right. I also know that there is a problem with SB Live! cards and VIA southbridges, but seeing how there are no other southbridges around that are on mainstream, high-quality motherboards, I really don't know what else to do. So, since I have overclocking in mind, but I also want a system that is stable at default speeds, what should I get for a KT133A motherboard? Or, if there are other chipsets out there that can use the 133MHz FSB of the Thunderbird "C", what are they and where can I find them?

-SammyBoy

Without Evil, there can be no Good. Therefore, without an Intel, there can be no AMD.

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
My usual pick...IWILL KK266 or KK266-R. Stable...fast and an overclockers dream.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

TRENDING THREADS