Printers with more than one cable

I have a question that may be stupid. But can you have one computer hooked up to a printer with a printer cable, then have another computer hooked up to that printer with a USB cable? It seems one port seems to claim dominance over the other. The printer is an HP 842c and the two computers are both Win98. Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about printers cable
  1. You need to have the printer operating on the one medium (USB, parallel).

I've never tried it, but I reckon if you connect two PCs and a printer to a USB hub, the PCs will try identify each other as devices.

The answer would be to get a couple of NICs and a crossover cable, allow shared devices etc. and attach the printer to one of the PCs.

<b>
    Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
    </b>
  2. Why not just set up a small network? Plug the printer into one machine, and on the other go to the control panel and install a network printer. The only drawback is that to print from the second machine, the one the printer is connected to will have to be turned on.

-- *Ding Ding* Knowledge for the clueless!!! --
  3. If both machines have Wake on LAN then it shouldn't be a problem.

What to do is to assign PC 1 as Server. PC 2 as workstation. Plug the printer into PC 1 and have it always running. PC 2 can be switched on and will always have access to the printer.

<b>
    Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
    </b>
  4. That's exactly what I have running. I put two printers on a server which is running 24/7. My other two machines can access the printers at any time. Works like a charm!

-- *Ding Ding* Knowledge for the clueless!!! --
Ask a new question

Read More

Printers Computer Cable Peripherals