a7v & no monitor

RCPilot

Champion
Built with my son a 1.33 T-bird c, with a ASUS a7v kt133a mobo, 256 sd133 ram, WD 40 gig ata 100 hdd, Geforce 2 mx, Sound Blaster Live Value & it was up & stable for 1 1/2 weeks.

Yesterday he removed the cooling fan on the chip to put heat goo under the chip, reassembled it & no monitor at all. We've tried taking out the vid board, unpluging & re pluging the monitor, & nothing works. It acts like there's no monitor at all.

On my 1 gig I had a simular situation myself. Every time I changed something on the MOBO, my monitor wouldn't come back up. However all I had to do was wiggle the vid board while it was shut down & it would pick it up on the next boot. This hasn't worked for my son's machine.

I did a search on this topic & couldn't quite nail it down as to what was the fix. Hope I haven't asked a question that has been beat to death & I didn't search right.

Thanks for the help,
Skinny

How do you eat a Elephant? One bite at a time!!

RCPilot

Champion
No it wasn't runnig without the hsf at all. I'm sure that the chip is fine. It did the same thing on my a7v kt133 board. Just need to get the monitor up & we'll be fine.

Skinny

How do you eat a Elephant? One bite at a time!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
No. what I meant was that it sounded like you were running the CPU with the HSF but without thermal compound. That may or may not cause problems, but is generally unadvisable.

Secondly, though, just because another MB exhibited the same symptom (no video signal) doesn't necessarily infer that this is the exact same cause. Might be. But maybe not. Just hope that there was no damage to the CPU while monkeying with the HSF thermal compound application and the removal and reapplication of the heat sink.

G

first, to troubleshoot this we need to know a couple of things.....one, if the computer boots up, but there is no picture, then its the monitor. If the pc does not boot, but gives you beep codes upon post then its your video card (or someother hardware problem). let us know if you are getting beep codes upon post and if so what their pattern is.....in the meantime, i would swap the video card out if you have an old one lying around as a test. sounds like maybe thats the trouble.

RCPilot

Champion
I believe that the computer is booting fine, but no picture as you said. It acts normal, but I think it misses the beep that picks up the monitor as it's booting. It's not beeping away like it doesn't have a cpu. The light on the monitor just flickers & never lights up all the way. The cpu was running fine on the tape that was there instead of the paste for 1 1/2 weeks prior to this.

Maby it's not the same problem I had with my computer, but acts darn like it.

Thanks, Skinny

How do eat a Elephant? One bite at a time!

Bankboy

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2001
One thing you might try is clearing the CMOS, if that doesn't work then I would definitely lean towards a hardware issue. Did your son accidently spill any of his "thermal goop" on the mother board? Maybe he spilled some around the graphics card or around one of the leads from the processor to the graphics unit (North-Bridge I think). Hope this helps!

RCPilot

Champion
Thanks Guys, turned out to be a bad chip. Took it to a shop & pulled out the 1.333 T-bird & stuck in another & she fired right up like nothing was wrong. Bought the chip in Detriot, so I'm taking it back today. It wasn't burnt or crushed at all, so the shop I had it at said it was just defective. Hope that they replace it right away.

Skinny

How do you eat a Elephant? One bite at a time!

Dantin1

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
Make sure you system is shut down and pull your vid card then turn it on. Record the beeps and see if it Identifies the Video error. If it sends out the appropriate beeps for Video then your card should be fine. Because if I read it right you said it did not give you any beeps. Not too sure on the beeps. Reseat the Vid card. Just for $*&$# and giggles, unplug your monitor cable from your vid card and turn the monitor to see if you get a test screen on your monitor. Should be a colored box that moves around on your screen or Check the Manufacturer site for the monitor on how to get to test screen and what to expect. If you don't get anything then your monitor is dead. Sorry

Dantin