A7V133 Raid 0 Question

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The instructions for setting up the Raid 0 say to connect the two hard drives to the separate IDE slots. No problem there, but I was wondering if there would be a problem if I connected a DVD or CDRW drive as a slave to one of the HD. Would this work? Might this degrade performance? Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. I never setup a Raid configuration before. Thanks

<i>Its not fun AFTER you have fragged everyone.</i> :cool: James

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
>if I connected a DVD or CDRW drive as a slave to one of the HD. Would this work?

Not recommended, but most likely will work.

>Might this degrade performance?

Probably will, especially when the DVD is being accessed. But if it's an absolute necessity, you gotta do what you gotta do. Try to connect it to one of the other IDE bus' if possible

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Best advice- do not mix and match devices and DMA access speeds on controllers and IDE RAID cards.

I had a wierd one with a RAID IDE setup (exactly the same as you are suggesting) but using an external RAID card. Got very strange boot errors, BSOD etc. Once I pulled the UDMA2 DVD ROM off the channel it was fine again...

If you are using an A7V133 you have 4 IDE channels - why not use the primary or secondary channel of the main controller for the CDROM. Please don't mix the devices just because you don't have another cable....

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details