Unexplained Lag

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Lag
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 30, 2011 7:43:08 AM

Alright, I've been playing WoW for about 2 months now.
And its been running 200FPS highest settings ect.
But in the past 2 or 3 days it has started getting really laggy, especially during PVP.
It'll run fine and then the whole game will just freeze for 2-5 seconds and then I'll continue playing.. 5 seconds later, this will happen again, and again, and again.
My internet is fine and in the options tooltip it says I still run at 200FPS.
I can use other programs while this lag happens, so its not the computer freezing. Even when I turn the settings down to the lowest, fiddle with vetrical sync and fullscreen. Nothing works.
I just formatted my computer hoping it would help and it did nothing. No other programs experience any lag. Any help would be greatly appreaciated :) 

Specs:
- AMD 965BE X4 @ 3.4GHz
- AMAZE ATI HD5770
- ASUS M4A87TD EVO
- OCZ 4GB DDR3 Ram

More about : unexplained lag

May 30, 2011 9:30:34 AM

What's your ping?

It could be the server, or it could be your DSL. Seeing as everything else works ok, it doesn't sound like a hardware problem.

There's a tool in the options menu that supposedly decreases ping at the cost of FPS I think, or something similar. Try checking that, and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, try clearing your cache, running security scans etc etc, and running the Blizzard auto-repair tool.

Just a note, when I played WoW, I found that certain programs would really affect it more than others. iTunes caused WoW to become far slower in terms of FPS/ms. Try running WoW on it's own, with nothing else running and see if that makes any difference?

If nothing works then I think it's likely your server, or your home connection.

Good luck, I hope it sorts itself out :) 
m
l
May 30, 2011 12:40:55 PM

Pingtest.net, if you haven't found a test yet. Bad ping/internet problems don't always show up in normal browsing.
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2011 9:00:18 AM

I recopied wow from my netbook to my PC and it worked, so it must have been a corrupt file or something, thanks for the help though :) 
m
l
June 1, 2011 9:58:07 AM

Try deleting any AddOns you're using that aren't from Blizzard. Also make sure that your internet security suite isn't running a scan or anything like that in the background. It could also be worth seeing if your drivers are up-to-date, although I expect this isn't the issue. Also, if it's working on your other machine, a reinstall may work (although as already mentioned, the Blizzard repair tool is quite good too).
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 2, 2011 1:31:38 AM

sounds like packet loss.
m
l
June 8, 2011 12:28:08 AM

To the last two answers.. I said I'd already fixed it?
m
l
!