Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which is the best for games Intel or AMD?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 30, 2011 10:29:53 AM

I’m going to be buy a new gaming PC to play some on line games. Now I need to know what is better, AMD based systems, or Intel based. Which one is better?

More about : games intel amd

May 30, 2011 10:46:15 AM

Depends on your budget....
m
0
l
May 30, 2011 10:48:46 AM

TOP END = INTEL (FOR NOW)

LOW/MID = AMD
m
0
l
Related resources
a b å Intel
May 30, 2011 2:20:27 PM

Money no object screamer = Intel i7
Todays favourite gamer= Intel i5-2500
Solid performance, inexpensive and I fancy a little O/C = AMD Phenon II X6 1100T Black Edition
m
0
l
May 30, 2011 11:25:02 PM

To me its pretty much like GPU's; whoever has best bang for buck at the time im upgrading.
m
0
l
June 1, 2011 5:04:20 PM

Intel. With Intel's Sandy Bridge line of CPU's being much more economical than previous generation chips, I can't even look at AMD CPU's right now.

If you build a gaming PC and stick an $80 CPU in there, well...enjoy the bottleneck.


Though I agree with Flintironstagg that the GPU is more directly important for gaming. So long as you don't bottleneck it a super cheap CPU.
m
0
l
June 1, 2011 5:11:54 PM

^I think it'll take a fairly wicked GPU to get bottlenecked by a 4ghz 965.
m
0
l
June 1, 2011 5:28:53 PM

Up 1 for everyone else's post about Intel, they are better buy if money is no object, however I get pretty good gaming experience with my AMD chip.
If I had a choice right now i would choose Intel...but wait a few years and I'll bet that AMD will be in the forefront.
m
0
l
June 1, 2011 6:14:30 PM

kajabla said:
^I think it'll take a fairly wicked GPU to get bottlenecked by a 4ghz 965.

Sure, but that's $180. Not the cheap CPU's I was ragging on. And for about that price you can get an i5-2400 and get better gaming performance. And for not much more than that, the 15-2500. Toss in a few more dollars and you have the unlocked K model and you've just topped everything AMD has.
m
0
l
June 2, 2011 2:36:50 PM

The new 6 core AMD's with the turbo tech are failry impressive. If you are wanting the best of the best epeen machine then go intel. If you are a gamer who wants reasonable pricing with good bang for buck then go AMD.
m
0
l
June 6, 2011 7:33:36 PM

Short answer is Intel is best.

Basically the best gaming cpu atm considering hyperthreading does nothing for gaming is the 2500k which you can get at microcenter for $180 and overclocks way higher than amd.
m
0
l
a c 119 À AMD
a c 116 å Intel
June 6, 2011 8:23:25 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
The new 6 core AMD's with the turbo tech are failry impressive. If you are wanting the best of the best epeen machine then go intel. If you are a gamer who wants reasonable pricing with good bang for buck then go AMD.


Currently the average popular game only uses at most 3 cores. Only a handful uses 4 cores, but more should be coming in the next couple of years. There is no reason to buy a 6 core CPU since games will not support all 6 cores in the foreseeable future.

Likewise, don't bother buying an Intel i7-2600k. The i7 has Hyper Threading (HT) which basically creates 4 virtual cores for improved performance in programs that can actually make use of HT. Games do not take advantage of HT so buying an i7 is just like wasting money as well.
m
0
l
June 7, 2011 8:41:15 AM

jaguarskx said:
Currently the average popular game only uses at most 3 cores. Only a handful uses 4 cores, but more should be coming in the next couple of years. There is no reason to buy a 6 core CPU since games will not support all 6 cores in the foreseeable future.

Likewise, don't bother buying an Intel i7-2600k. The i7 has Hyper Threading (HT) which basically creates 4 virtual cores for improved performance in programs that can actually make use of HT. Games do not take advantage of HT so buying an i7 is just like wasting money as well.

True but you can overclock the crap out of it and the extra L3 cache also helps. But you'll not likely notice much over an i5-2500k which also overclocks incredibly well.
m
0
l
June 7, 2011 3:55:47 PM

TheViper said:
True but you can overclock the crap out of it and the extra L3 cache also helps. But you'll not likely notice much over an i5-2500k which also overclocks incredibly well.

The 6 core processors that have turbo boost shut down 3 cores and auto overclock 3 cores to achieve raw power for gaming. the i-7's use this technology, and the AMD 6 cores have something similar, but dont actually shut down 3 of the cores, they just run very low voltage and ramp up the other 3 cores for the power. so... i guess getting the i-7 for HT is a no go, but the argument of using cores i think is a bust with the new turbo boost tech.
m
0
l
June 7, 2011 7:06:01 PM

I didn't say turbo boost, I said overclocking. You know, taking a 3.3 Ghz chip to 4.3 Ghz on stock air and watching your frames on clock dependent games go up dramatically without bothering the games that more core dependent.
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 3:34:42 PM

TheViper said:
I didn't say turbo boost, I said overclocking. You know, taking a 3.3 Ghz chip to 4.3 Ghz on stock air and watching your frames on clock dependent games go up dramatically without bothering the games that more core dependent.

Im sorry, that wasnt for you i must have clicked the wrong quote :/  . that was for jaguars. sorry for the confusion.
m
0
l
!